Mad_Jasper

First "Oh Shit" moment today

You can get this if you are tense. If you loosen up ad relax more, you will fly more balanced, and it's all about balance and flying from your central point of gravity, your hip.

;)

It's not a bad idea getting coaching on proper slowfall and fastfall techniques right away, this is easier to do if you have a reference point (=a coach) or if you do it i the tunnel. It's hard to learn it properly on your own.

Now you know that you can easily correct instability, even when you feel a little stressed out because of altitude, isn't that great?

Talk to your favourite local istructor about this, that's what most people here on the forum will recommend you to do.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Been doing some thinking about it. I'll probably get someone, maybe a coach, to jump with me next time as I work on my fall rate.

I'm thinking the most likely scenario was that I bent my legs too much and as I spread out to slow my fall rate, I didn't extend my legs. Having long legs and arms... I have to be very aware of their positions. I may have been a little complacent due to my recent successes.

A lot of newbies tend to have their legs close together/not spread apart. If you look at really good RW flyers, you will usually see their legs spread apart very wide, nearly 90 degrees. This will give you more stability in the roll axis. You won't want to spread your legs during a track, just when you are falling flat. It is something to keep in mind and make a habit of, your issue may well be unrelated. A lot of newbies also have very busy legs - they don't realize they're flailing with their legs/feet.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Did my 16th and 17th jumps today. I'm only able to do a couple a month because of my new job, divorce, etc. The only problem I've had is a slight spin that I worked out after jump 8.

Anyway, I was practicing my rate of decent my moving my arms in and out. Nearing my 4500 ft pull threshold, I tumbled. Don't know why... didn't feel unstable. Actually felt very smooth and in control. I just tumbled, turned on my back for a brief moment, and righted myself. I pulled around 3800 and under full canopy at 3000.

While not a big deal, I don't know what the hell I did wrong, thus I can't work on correcting the problem.

This happened to me on one of my jumps! I was stable until pull time I started to go into a tumble but before I pitched too far I already had pulled. As people have already said, sometimes you have to go through a "scary" moment like this to realize that skydiving actually requires a lot of discipline if you want to stay safe. That means being cognizant of your body position and everything else we've learned through AFF (i.e. try to remember "arch, reach, pull" on every jump) or training as novice skydivers. Be proud that you corrected it and you pulled stable and got down safely. :)

Now you know that you can easily correct instability, even when you feel a little stressed out because of altitude, isn't that great?

Yeah, it is great. On my AFF2, my bag got caught in a burble ( I think because my main side instructor didn't track away). I was about to go for the red handle when I saw my reserve side instructor hitting my bag over my shoulder. Needless to say, it was a very hard opening with quite a few line twist and a slight spin. I kicked them out to an awesome sunset and enjoyed the ride down. Best jump I've had so far.