kasch

shoulder problem

So for years I've had this problem where my shoulder partially dislocates, at least I think that's the problem because I can't move my arm until i jerk it back into position with an intense ouch.

It happened twice the other day during freefall on my first coach jump, I managed to put it back in both times and somehow remain somewhat stable but had to pull high because the pain just got too bad to cope with to continue the dive.

I'm going to see an orthropedic in a few hours but I was curious if anyone has a similar problem, how the handle it with regards to skydiving, and if they have any braces they would recommend that work.

I'll ask the doctor too of course, but I figured I'd go to the people who actually jump with the problem.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

know this sounds rough, but maybe you should try golf.

Jumped with a guy that had an AAD fire because his shoulder became dislocated in a sit fly and couldnt pull his main.... not sure why he didnt go to reserve. He stated that it had happened before on a jump.

Just my .02, but do what you want
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150

Luckily its my left shoulder, so I can still pull :)

I'm not sure I can take up golf, waaaay to boring! Guess I'll see what the doc says tonight...i hope i can keep jumping somehow, I'm just getting started afterall!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

So for years I've had this problem where my shoulder partially dislocates, at least I think that's the problem because I can't move my arm until i jerk it back into position with an intense ouch.

It happened twice the other day during freefall on my first coach jump, I managed to put it back in both times and somehow remain somewhat stable but had to pull high because the pain just got too bad to cope with to continue the dive.

I'm going to see an orthropedic in a few hours but I was curious if anyone has a similar problem, how the handle it with regards to skydiving, and if they have any braces they would recommend that work.

I'll ask the doctor too of course, but I figured I'd go to the people who actually jump with the problem.

This is not uncommon. I've heard many jumpers with this complaint over the years. The consensus is that once it has dislocated once, it can happen again very easily.

Getting into some weight training can strengthen the joint and make it more resistant to this, but the only permanent option I am aware of is a surgical procedure.
__

My mighty steed

Do a search. I have posted multiple times on this from personal experience. Essentially:

Surgery works
There are braces available
Adapt your EPs to know what you will do with a shoulder out
Know how you will land with a shoulder out
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Well it's not a dislocation, just got back from the doctor. It's a subluxation. It goes back into the socket and doesn't fully dislocate. They are sending me for an MRI but basically they think the muscle around my shoulder is just loose.

Lifting has helped a bit, it doesn't happen nearly as often now but when it happens its way more painful. Besides the gym I'll probably have to go for PT to correct it.

As for steering and landing, since it has always gone back in I haven't really seen it as an issue, but it very well might become one if it fully dislocates I guess.

I bought a brace though. One of the guys at the DZ said it worked for him. But I'm putting jumping on hold until I get the MRI results.

Still would appreciate feed back on different braces people may have used. similar experiences, and obviously I'm inexperienced so if anyone thinks of any other complications that could pop up I'd love to read about them just to prepare myself for variables.

thanks guys! :)

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Do a search. I have posted multiple times on this from personal experience. Essentially:

Surgery works
There are braces available
Adapt your EPs to know what you will do with a shoulder out
Know how you will land with a shoulder out

thanks doc i will! appreciate it :)

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

How do you advise landing with a shoulder out? No flare PLF?

You could use your one good arm, grab both toggles and practice a symetrical flare... damn well bet I would if I only had one good arm and the ground was a comin'
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

one of the instructors mentioned this to me a couple weeks ago. they said to unstow the left first then reach over and grab the right since it would be theoretically my only working arm. guess ill try it a couple times just in case :)

hope for the best, prepare for the worst?

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

How do you advise landing with a shoulder out? No flare PLF?

I tried two methods on 2 occasions - rears and both toggles in one hand.

Rears worked because I still had enough strength and range of movement to pull down 4-6". The risk with this method is a fast stall.

Both toggles in one was better, but does carry the risk of a low turn if you're not symmetrical. Of course this risk would be worse on a more twitchy canopy. I did mine on my Sabre2 150 and it worked out fine.

If it happened again, I would use the second method and, yes, prepare to PLF.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

A subluxating shoulder could well become a dislocated shoulder when exposed to the stresses of freefall so you are doing the right thing in planning for it.

I jumped with a brace before I had surgery and it helped a lot. I actually still use it now, even though I have no problems since the surgery. I just figured that if I have it I might as well use it until it falls apart.

This is the one I use:

http://www.painreliever.com/bauerfeind_omotrain.html

~ CanuckInUSA

Thanks Doc, I'll let you guys know how the MRI turns out. Your post gives me hope though :) I'd hate to have to stop jumping when I just started

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Thanks Doc, I'll let you guys know how the MRI turns out. Your post gives me hope though :) I'd hate to have to stop jumping when I just started

No problem, man. There are ways to do it safely. My MRI was pretty ugly (I had a Bankart fracture) but it was all good after the surgery.

I hope they have easier time getting the contrast medium into your shoulder than they did with mine!!

Do some practice flares up high with rears and both toggles in one hand - it is actually quite a fun way to land and nice to know that you can if you have to.

~ CanuckInUSA

I just spent the past few hours at work not working and reading the countless shoulder posts like you recommended Doc.

Most of them seemed to have a cheerful outlook after either PT or surgery. Guess the chances are good I can keep jumping soon! Knock on wood :)

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"