guineapiggie101

a real bummer, but another question

DocPop, yeah, I'm smart, and the practical side of me knows I probably shouldn't jump and let my foot heal up. Actually, the podiatrist wanted to put a hard cast on me today but I convinced him not to (since with a hard cast, I wouldn't be able to drive and that would REALLY suck).

I know if I push my limits, it could mean that I take more than 2 months to heal>:( and/or I will need surgery. That would suck more.

I will try to learn as much as I can while I am grounded. And I will have fun too.

I wish life didn't have to be so practical most of the time.

Hey i know exactly how you feel. When i made my 6th jump i sprained my ankle pretty bad and was out of commission for 4 months before i could get back up in the air.

Sure it was torture and i really wanted to get back up in that plane. But at the same time i told myself to just wait it out and wait for the doctor to give me the ok. I'm glad i waited because my first jump back i flared waaay too high and had i not let my ankle heal properly i could've really messed it up again.

Take my advice here. Wait it out and let it heal properly. Failure to do so could keep you out of the plane a lot longer than 2 months. Sure you might have to take the FJC again and repeat a level or 2 but who cares? In this sport it's always better to be as safe as possible.

Also, like other people have said in here, go hang out at the DZ and learn to pack and ask lots of questions. Watch people do their patterns, land, etc. You'd be surprised what you could learn.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Agentsmith, you are right, waiting it out will help insure that I can jump injury free. Did you go and hang out at the DZ while you were injured?

Someone did mention to me that if I have an "air cast" on, which my "boot" could be considered that, that I may be able to get some tunnel time in. I hope that is the case since that would really make my day.

I won't jump though in the time being, just hang loose and see what happens.

yeah i was at the dz every weekend. if i wasnt learning to pack i was asking questions, watching people land, etc. take in all the info that you can. and the only dumb question is one that isnt asked
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Well after talking to someone at the DZ, I agree, it is better for me to wait till I am completely healed before I even do anything skydiving related, including tunnel time. I understand, even though I am sad about it.

I guess hanging out out at the DZ and learning and having fun is not a bad alternative either.

I wish I wasn't so impatient:(

2 months will fly by. I dislocated my shoulder at 3500 feet on Dec 28th and had surgery in mid January. So its been about 2 and a half months since ive Jumped and i still have a while to go before im back in the air. I spend at least every other week at the DZ and will be there for safety day this Saturday to learn all i can. I pack my rig every chance i get to keep myself familiar with it.I have also reread the parachute and its pilot(Great Book) So keep yourself in the skydive community and keep learning and it will fly by

I have set a target date to get back into jumping. I am looking to jump on my bday (which is towards the end of April). By that time, I should have about 8 weeks of healing, which should be good enough.

Went to the doc this week and the foot is doing ok. Have to be in my air cast for another 3 weeks and then see what happens.

I have been going down to the DZ and hanging out on the weekends. Been having a lot of fun and started to make some friends.

Can't wait to continue my journey.

Thanks.

I have NOT learned to pack yet:( . I inquired about taking a packing class at the DZ but they want me to wait a few more weeks so my foot can heal up a bit more (since learning to pack requires a lot of being on my feet, it seems). So, I will have to wait.

As it gets closer to my target date, I might arrange to get some tunnel time in so I am less rusty when I do get back in the air.

I am going up to the DZ tomorrow because there is some kind of party thing going on this weekend (tomorrow night is the costume party), and I have the perfect costume for it:D.

Even though I am not jumping, I actually am enjoying the social aspect of it all.

That's really awesome.

I am pleased you're enjoying integrating into the DZ on a social level. You have a new family now!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA