bqmassey

Coaches @ The Farm?

I have 16 jumps (including two tandems) and I'm trying to get my A License.

I'm safe and confident in freefall. I have no problem getting into a stable position and always pull on time, but my loops and tracking could use some work.

There are a lot of things I haven't been taught yet that I need to know for my A License. I need to learn:

o How to pack
o How to change/adjust main closing loop
o How to determine exit and opening points using winds aloft forecast
o The cloud clearance and vis requirements
o About the effect of a jumper on aircraft control surfaces
o Radio and onboard communication procedures
o How to plan a jump
o How to spot

I know that I could probably get signed off at some DZs without all of these skills, but I'd rather not. When I go to some other drop zone and I get put by the door, I don't want to look like an idiot when they tell me to spot. If I'm going to hold an A License, and exercise the privileges of it, I want to have the skills that are expected for someone with my level of experience. I really enjoy this sport, and want to be good at it.

Anyways, I'm thinking about going up to Skydive The Farm. I've never jumped there, but I've heard great things. I'm wondering if there are any USPA Coaches out there that would like to teach me some stuff and do some jumps with me. My last five jumps have been completely solo. They've been fun, but I'm starting to get lonely up there! (and haven't been learning much or improving). I feel like I have the potential to be good at skydiving, I just need to get the fundamentals down solid.

I love the DZs that I've already jumped at, but I've found it difficult to find a Coach that has time for me. Most of the coaches are also camera flyers or instructors and are too busy.

So, do any of you STF regulars happen to be coaches? I'll cover the lift tickets and beer. Let me know what I'll owe you above that, so I can plan accordingly (I may have to wait a couple of weekends).

Blue skies!

Brandon,
Yes. We can help you out....and gladly.

You mentioned that you could get those things signed off without the skills.....Bejeezus, I certainly hope there are none out there that would do that to you.:S

I am highly impressed with your desire to learn and I would be honored to help you out with all of that and more.:)
All YOU have to do is show up with your logbook and I can dedicated whatever time you need or want.

I'll let you know up front that I do charge for my services. My charge: 1 20oz Coca-Cola.
:D:D:D
(I don't drink beer :o)

You can PM me and we'll talk off-line or here publicly whatever you prefer.

Call before you come to check weather and such.
404-295-5000
DZO Hans Paulsen will answer and he'll tell you what's planned for the day and what the weather is....good thing is he won't lie to you.

Looking forward to meeting you,
Andy

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Since 2006? I hope I don't smell troll.
If not, I'm sure STF will do you right.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

If not, I'm sure STF will do you right.

Happens all the time, people do a tandem, then pick the sport up a few years later.

STF will surely square him away. Not that anything ever happens there. :):D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Catch me when I'm around and I'll jump with you, and you don't have to buy my jump. (If they'll let me.) Recent USPA "suggestions" have made it difficult for me to jump with newbies.

While I've been "coaching" beginners for many years, I don't have the rating. (This used to be called "jumping with the new guy" before the USPA leadership decided to solve a problem that didn't exist by inventing the whole stupid "coach" rating in the first place.)

By the way, you're not officially a student, are you? If you are you should only be dealing with the instructor staff. If not, how did someone let you graduate without learning basic skills?

Regardless, there're plenty of competent qualified people at the Farm. Hans & Andy will treat you right.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Brandon,
Yes. We can help you out....and gladly....

Awesome, Andy. Thanks! I'll be in touch. It's a long drive, so I'll have to plan ahead a little bit.

Not a troll. Joined in 2006. Did my first two tandems in 2008. Completed AFF in 2009. Couldn't jump in 2010 (due to work), and am picking it back up now in 2011.

Catch me when I'm around and I'll jump with you, and you don't have to buy my jump. (If they'll let me.) Recent USPA "suggestions" have made it difficult for me to jump with newbies.

While I've been "coaching" beginners for many years, I don't have the rating. (This used to be called "jumping with the new guy" before the USPA leadership decided to solve a problem that didn't exist by inventing the whole stupid "coach" rating in the first place.)

By the way, you're not officially a student, are you? If you are you should only be dealing with the instructor staff. If not, how did someone let you graduate without learning basic skills?

Regardless, there're plenty of competent qualified people at the Farm. Hans & Andy will treat you right.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Awesome. Thanks. :)

I'm signed off of AFF and have seven post-AFF solo jumps under my belt. I graduated AFF with the skills I need to be safe once I leave the plane (the stuff that's expected of an AFF student) but not some of things that are required to submit the A License application. I haven't done any coached jumps.

Based on your history and currency, expect to be required to make at least 1 recurrency dive with an AFF instructor and go through a complete EP review (maybe more depending on how well you do) before you should be doing any coach jumps.
At least, that's what I would have you do.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Based on your history and currency, expect to be required to make at least 1 recurrency dive with an AFF instructor and go through a complete EP review (maybe more depending on how well you do) before you should be doing any coach jumps.
At least, that's what I would have you do.

Yea, I jumped last weekend at a different DZ. Did a brief run-through of the AFF course and discussed some malfunctions and emergency procedures. Did a recurrency jump and four solo jumps.

I have a signature from the instructor for last weekend's recurrency jump. Will that be honored at a different DZ, or will they want another one done?

The signature should be good anywhere.
Did you actually do some EP drills in a harness, or just discuss?
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

The signature should be good anywhere.
Did you actually do some EP drills in a harness, or just discuss?

We did some drills in training harnesses (not a hanging one, but one's you put on). They put on a video that popped up mal's on the screen, and you had to demonstrate what you'd do in that situation.

Many of the things you want to learn are discussed in detail in the SIM. (Skydiver's information manual) available online Most of these things should have been covered with you already by an instructor before you were cleared to jump with a coach, and you shouldn't have to pay extra to learn to pack. It's part of the deal.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

o How to pack
o How to plan a jump
o How to spot

Many of the things you want to learn are discussed in detail in the SIM. (Skydiver's information manual) available online

Sure.... that's very true

Most of these things should have been covered with you already by an instructor before you were cleared to jump with a coach

Not one of those skills is listed in the SIM as a requirement or even a recommendation for being cleared to jump with a coach.

An average student being cleared to jump with a coach in an AFF program has somewhere between 6-10 jumps. They're expected to be able to maintain a bit of a heading, regain stability from a tumble, and pull for themselves.

They are not expected at 6-10 jumps to be able to handle most of that list. That's what's supposed to happen in the remaining time it takes to build the skills for the license. With a coach / rigger / pilot as appropriate.
Owned by Remi #?

Not one of those skills is listed in the SIM as a requirement or even a recommendation for being cleared to jump with a coach.

Well, for starters....

o How to pack
(CAT E & F ISP)
(CAT F ISP)
(CAT D ISP)
(CAT E ISP)
(CAT H ISP)
o How to plan a jump
(CAT C ISP)
o How to spot
(CAT C, D, E & F ISP)

And how many of those are required to be cleared for self supervision?

And if I were to drop by the Farm for an AFF class and a few more jumps, would I be able to leave with around 8 jumps with all of those things logged and signed off on my A license card?

I'm willing to take some vacation days. Maybe this year, maybe next. No more than that time frame. You willing to commit?
Owned by Remi #?

When a student completes the requirements for each category, the USPA Instructor records it on the student's USPA A-License Proficiency Card and Application and administers an oral quiz. Especially in Categories A-D, the student should complete all the objectives of one category before making any jumps in the next.

SIM Section 4
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

And if I were to drop by the Farm for an AFF class and a few more jumps, would I be able to leave with around 8 jumps with all of those things logged and signed off on my A license card?

I'll repeat.

Sounds like a fun project.
Owned by Remi #?

I'll repeat.

Sounds like a fun project.

You saying its not possible?

Technically, all of them. They are all part of the AFF/ISP training program.

Absolutely! And more! I would work with you gladly on accomplishing that goal. All it takes is dedication on your part to sit down and learn it.

I'm willing to take some vacation days. Maybe this year, maybe next. No more than that time frame. You willing to commit?

I commit to my students every day...that's my life's work these days. Give us a call and let us know when you are coming and I'll commit to you, too..even if you DO have 750, a D and 8 years!

Sooner is better, though...I'm getting on the old side of life and traveling the world before I die is calling me...
:)