dirtbox

Health insurance coverage value

Ok I will be landing in Dallas in a month and plan on spending the next three months jumping my ass off but I have a question about insurance

Option 1 - Global Underwriters $295 for 3 months (no deduct.) with $500,000 in coverage

Option 2 - IHI Bupa $398 coverage for 3 months (no deduct.) with unlimited cover.

If I break myself if $500,000 going to cover it or is that not likely? (fwiw I don't plan on swooping but I do rock climb and cycle (race) ontop of skydiving so while I don't want to break myself it *could* happen). While the difference is 'only' $100 I will probably go with IHI but at the same time $100 is $100 and ontop of all the other expenses that are paid before even getting to the airport ... so discuss

as a side I have read through the swooping forum about broken bits and the expenses ([:/]B|) which is what got me wondering is $500,000 is enough?

Cheers

Dave

500,000 should be plenty. good job getting insurance. the only reason to go with ihi is they dont ask questions and cover you no questions asked. not sure about the other company. i also voted boobies just cause i love them.
dont let life pass you by

Do, Global Underwriters cover sport skydiving?

IHI covers everything (except motor racing and Antarctic expeditions), I have used them and Highly reccoment them.

I would consider an alternative should one be available though.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

Thank you :)

from http://www.globalunderwriters.com/america/details.asp

"OPTIONAL RIDERS

Hazardous Activity Coverage - For specific named hazards: Motorcycling, Scuba Diving, Jet, Snow and Water Skiing, Mountain climbing, Sky Diving, Amateur Racing, Piloting any Aircraft, Bungee Jumping, Spelunking, Whitewater Rafting, Surfing, Parasailing, Canopying, Zip Lining"

So it would seem so - a few other comanies cover skydiving (outside of competition) but they are REALLY expensive :/

Cool cool

"OPTIONAL RIDERS

Hazardous Activity Coverage - For specific named hazards: Motorcycling, Scuba Diving, Jet, Snow and Water Skiing, Mountain climbing, Sky Diving, Amateur Racing, Piloting any Aircraft, Bungee Jumping, Spelunking, Whitewater Rafting, Surfing, Parasailing, Canopying, Zip Lining"

It looks like you have to declare the activities when getting quoted for them to cover it. If you do that and it's still cheaper then $500,000 is plenty.

For most injuries, $500,000 is plenty even if you have a hospital admission and one or more surgeries; where $500,000 starts to be not enough is if you really break yourself and require many months or years of follow-up care (nursing, therapists, multiple surgeries, expensive medications/treatments, etc.). Not likely, but a possibility and you could blow through that $500,000 pretty quickly.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke