zackroch

RW suit booties

I'm rather new to the sport, but I have military experience from both static line round canopy, and free fall jumping.

When it comes to an RW suit, how important are the booties?
Do they really help that much or do they tend to get in the way?

I figure they would be a pain on the ground and in the aircraft, flopping around and such.

Talk with you instructors, first off.
RW booties can be a hazard to lower time jumpers (16-35 jump range, this I say from personal experience) and need to be used with some coaching.
They are more expensive, and you probably will not get a lot of benefit from them very early on (IMO).
If however, your goal is to do a lot of Belly RW-get a suit with some. You can always roll the booties inside and tape them if they are not needed.
On another topic-MIlitary Static LIne jumps do provide you with some things that help in skydiving (Aircraft procedures, comfort in the door, canopy control skills [only if you are doing SL Squares] and maybe some overkilled PLF training. Military Freefall jumps do translate a lot more, but are still much different.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

If the suit fits you properly the booties should not flop around. They fit over your shoes and zip up and button at the bottom of the zipper (or most of the ones I have seen do). Once you have your rig on and the legstraps cinched down tight it takes up the slack in the suit legs and booties.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Im just recently off student status and ive been flying a suit with booties for the last few jumps. The booties make a huge difference in your flying!!! I think they are well worth it. Speek to the jumpers at your DZ that jump with them, im sure they can give you some insight.
Wait , I pull what first?

Keep in mind, you put your booties on, and zip your leg zips down fully, BEFORE getting on the plane.

Some booties (mine for example) don't require zippers or snaps.
You can do it on the plane, take them off under canopy too.

Pros: booties last the lifetime of the suit, no stiff and bulky shoe glue required.

Cons: Can be tough to get them on in a crowded plane. Adds a step to post opening procedures.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."