skylord

What Has Skylord Been Up To?

Well, I wrapped up my A license in July, and it has been awhile since I posted on what I've been doing. So here is the latest.

Jump 26 was my first non coach/instructor two way. Dz.com's very own champu was the suspecting victim. Linked exit, out we go. The exit was OK, but even after getting my A license, my first real two way revealed bad habits. Legs were too far in, and as I released grips he backslid away from me. :D I thought it was so cool that even with way over 500 jumps he was giving me the peace sign as he ditched me in the open sky. Search and rescue was the title of this jump.

Jump 28 was with a 2 way silver team national medalist. I corrected some flaws in his technique in the air with AFF signals. He gave me some signals I hadn't seen before, but chalked that up to his inexperience. Great jump from my perspective but damn my rotten luck my car was ablaze from what I was told was an errant solar flare. I hooked up with my dive partner for a debrief, who smelt faintly of gasoline. I figured he filled up his car waiting for me to drift down to earth.

Seven days later was my first three way. The jump wasn't bad either. But I digress.

Jump 34 I had my new jumpsuit, and another excuse as to my flying ability. Actually, it took several jumps to get used to it, and some tunnel time, but BEFORE you get your first jump suit, talk to someone with experience. I mean it. This is a HUGE decision and I think many of us newbies don't take that into account.

Jump 37 was my first jump at Perris. Up until now I had only downsized once, on AFF-3 from a NAV280 to a NAV260. The largest canopy Perris had available was a 230. Spectre, 7 cell, with turbo collapsible PC and slider. I shat myself. New DZ, new canopy, new rig (Infinity). I managed through my choked sobs to communicate my concern. The Perris crew slapped me. They asked me how my landings were (almost all tip toe stand up on the NAV260), and then slapped me again. :D

Actually, they were great, and advised me to pull higher than usual, and to expect a much faster level out and responsive flare. The jumps went fine, and I wrung the canopy out at altitude to the point I felt comfortable. It flies faster and really seems noisy. Oops. Forgot to collapse the slider. Accuracy was MUCH easier. I started to nail the target within 10 meters (Metres, or 30 feet) on a very predictable basis. The rig felt really light and small on my back, with a hackey that was much higher than I was used to, but I nailed it.

Jump 42 was my first Skyvan exit, a true life experience. Again, at Perris. It so happens my partner and I were going out first. I'm sitting at the back of the starboard bench and stupidly say this is my first Skyvan jump, how do I work the door? No problem from the other jumpers say they. With the tailgate wide open, they tell me when we get to 200 feet, I have to lean out and twist the red handle to get the door to go down. Just hang on to something really tight and don't fall out. I decide to assert myself through my sobs and with the F bomb that no, that WILL not happen. The ensuing laughter and pointing makes me realize I just got punked. They were great, and this exit was one of the most memorable ever. I dish it out, and I realize I have to take it, as well.

Jumps 46-52 were under the Elsinore gear, NAV220s. Loved every one of them. First four way, and I also hit the middle of the "X" two jumps in a row. Jump 52 was a real learning experience with Santa Ana winds kicking up and dragging my partially flared ass at 17 mph 90 degrees crosswind. We all got down ok, but a camera flyer got hurt on landing. One of my four way partners on the previous jump.

Anyway, lots of learning and concentrated experience are contributing to my training, and I appreciate that. Thanks to all, and I look forward to Chicks Rock this weekend for my first helo jump as well as hanging with the Chicks!!

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

I look forward to Chicks Rock this weekend for my first helo jump as well as hanging with the Chicks!!

See you there. Bwahahahahaha!>:(>:(>:(

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

You forgot to mention buying an old man a couple of beers in the Bomb Shelter.

Sparky

Yes, I did. I bought myself (the old man) a couple beers and was honored to share the table with you and listen to you. I apologize for overlooking that. I cannot thank you enough for your contributions to both the sport and my life.

I would be unspeakably honored to do a jump with you, sir. Just follow the flailing screaming mass of flesh that is, well, just me. :D

Bob Marks
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman