AdamWirtz2001

Jumping a Yak-52?

I did a demo out of a T-34 (tandem cockpit low-wing Beech trainer, much smaller than the Yak or T-6).

The slipstream will be more than you expect. Remind the pilot to give you a good cut for climbout (I did not) and he should use a very shallow dive to maintain airspeed.

I know on the T-34, the pilot asked me to be careful about pushing on the canopy frame when the sliding part was open, lest the thing depart the aircraft.

He was also XC from his home base, and he asked me to try to close & lock the canopy after climb out so that he could fly home without landing, as the T-34 is speed limited with the canopy open. I was able to do that, but it was a pain.

Practice, practice, practice. Watch for handle snags and when you stand up in the cockpit, because you've been sitting/moving around on it, check your main pilot chute handle for it being pushed in or whatever.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

I have 5 YAK jumps - 3 flat and 2 inverted, both inverted were from a barrell roll and not a loop. I found it really easy to get out onto the wing from the rear seat for the flat exits although you obviously need to have the pilot slow the plane down quite a bit and raise the elevator (put the nose down). From standing / crouching on the wing just roll over the flap area towards the back corner of the wing and dont jump up as its not so far to the rear elevator - if you do f*ck it up from this position you will hit your foot and not your head with this exit... Watch out for your pins and handles on climbout and check the length of your closure loop. There is plenty of place to stand on the wing and lots of handholds on the front and rear canopies - the rear steering column presses against your gut on takeoff when in the rear with your rig on so if you 'large' you may not fit - I think the rear control can be removed ? I have tons of experience on all sorts of inverted exits from Pitts and others so the barrell roll exit where you must leave at the right time is a piece of cake. However I would not allow you to come anywhere near strange exits / inverted etc on any of my demos till you had way more experience and showed me that you were OK with doing some basic aeros and seeing the picture from inside the aircraft without jumping. However whatever, have fun and try not to kill yourself or anyone else and whatever happens make sure you get it on film... ;)
---------------------------------
www.skydiverustenburg.co.za
www.skydiveqatar.com