clairebear7

can I fit a 150 main in a size i3 Icon rig?

Sounds like you will have a similar problem with an inappropriate sized reserve.

Max reserve size for I3 is 120.

You obviously aren't comfortable or experienced enough to be flying the maximum sized main for an I3 (stated by Aerodyne), which is 132. Good for you for recognizing this.

Now consider the reserve. You aren't comfortable flying a 132 or smaller main in perfect conditions, which is normally what you get landing at the DZ. Why in the world would you be comfortable flying a 120 reserve that you have little experience flying, that was deployed low and dirty, into some area like a small shitty backyard with lots of obstacles.

Wait on the smaller containers until you can fly smaller reserves and mains safely.

An I4 would be a much better choice and it will fit your 150 reserve and 150 main.

Because of the closing loop location you can fit smaller mains into Icons. I had as small as a 117 in a I5, a little squishy but it was still safe and doable. That way down the road when you want to safely downsize you can do so without needing a new container, and you won't have a tiny reserve.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I have a 120 reserve in there! My wingloading on a 135 is 1.0 is that fast? I have been jumping a 160 student canopy consistently for the last 60 jumps or so! and been getting great landings, is it too quick to move down so drastically? I do think it would be stupid of me, it's just so tempting because renting gear is so expensive!

I won't tell you if it is too small or too fast. I don't know how many jumps you have and I have never seen you jump in person.

Just think about what I posted above. If a main sized smaller than a 150 makes you nervous why would you jump a reserve that is a 120?

On each jump there is a chance that you may end up flying your reserve instead of your main. Often when you find yourself needing your reserve it isn't in the best of conditions.

Given that I would repeat my question, if you aren't comfortable jumping a main smaller than a 150 why take the risk that you will have to fly the 120 reserve into some small backyard, or other less than optimal situation.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It will not fit well and definitely not if it's being packed by someone fairly new to packing (you really do get better with time and pack jobs size and times decrease quite dramatically sometimes).

I have an i3 with an optimum 143 (which is very tight but fits) and for a main a 135 is about as much as you can hope to get in there unless its a zpx or some other hybrid or older canopy with microline/hma. You state the reserve is a 120 so it will be a bit softer but not significantly so I believe.

Could you make it work in a pinch like a demo, trying a main out for a jump or two? Sure but it wouldn't be worth the aggravation over any stretch of time.

As for what you fly that's for you and your trusted advisers to decide. The comments made already about main and reserve sum up most relevant thoughts IMO.
-Patrick