brewster71

down sizing question

On my level 7 jump(the hop n pop I went from a 288 down to a 240 Navigator and have used it for the last 5 jumps. I want to jump a 190, is it to soon and is that to much of a drop in size? I weigh 150.

Just a couple quick thoughts - making a 'big' downsize, like from a 288 to a 240 isn't so bad when your WL is going from ultra-low on the 288 to super-low on the 240.

When you look at the change from a 240 to a 190, you're going from a super-low WL on the 240, to almost 1 to 1 on the 190, and that's closer to 'average' for a new jumper, and something you need to be more careful with.

As previously mentioned, stepping down one size at a time is a good idea. You'll want to put a handful of jumps on each size to make sure that you're 'OK' on that size before going smaller. One or two jumps on a canopy does not show that you know how to fly it.

All of the sizes mentioned sound like student canopies in rental rigs. The real person to ask this question is the person who chooses what rig you are given for your jumps. They know you and the gear better than anyone online, and they're the ones who can make the best choice for you.

Thanx for the advise :)

Just so you know, downsizing because it's cheaper to jump that canopy is a horrible idea. Sounds like you're sticking to the 220, that's a great idea. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message