rs2kmk5

My level 2 accident (August 04)

Wingloading is not important in my opinion until you have your A

...according to the OP's profile he has his A... not sure about there but here having your A means (while you are certainly free to, even expected to, discuss various things with instructors) that you are responsible for yourself and your safety in the air. So, even renting a rig, you should have an idea what your WL is... surely??
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Yes i agree. But he does know what size canopy he's on and im sure if he hit another DZ the rigger would give him something sensible based on what he already knows, as for people getting their A's then hitting a new DZ? Thats got to be rare.

AFF for me was about knowing what to do if something shit happens or practicing canopy skills like increasing the range etc. The stress levels are high enough without simple math being thrown in. Now that AFF's done hes going to want his own gear and be encouraged to aswell by the staff. Now the rigger is going to have the job of explaining a whole, whole lot more including wingloading.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I'm pleased my post has generated so much response - it's always good to get second opinions and to form an overall judgement call.

Yes agreed as you progress towards completion of the A license, the questionof buying your own kit arises and some people do place orders once they've discussed wing loading, canopy type, new or used etc etc - it's just that in my case that's not the route I wish to follow...

In my humble opinion I think it would be much wiser to walk before I run and so I anticipate making at least another 20 or so jumps before I place an order for a canopy. This does exactly two things - roughly doubles my jump numbers, and therefore doubles my experience.

Much better to gradually downsize than to be under canopy thinking holy sh@t my descent rate seems high!!!

I remember flaring the canopy, but I don't remember PLF'ing on the landing, even though I'd been repeatedly drilled on it & understood it thoroughly.

And it doesn't matter whether it's your first jump or your 10000th - ultimately it is ONLY YOU WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF.

Thanks for all your interest - I have the X rays, and will find a way of posting them here ASAP.

Blue skies all (noo chance here in the uk LOL)...

Out of 10,000 feet of fall, always remember that the last half inch hurts the most — Captain Charles W. Purcell, 1932

for people getting their A's then hitting a new DZ? Thats got to be rare.

a bit off topic, but i don't believe this is rare at all - just scan the "got my A" posts in General and see how many of the responses say something about visiting other DZs. It also doean't seem that rare, incidentally, for people to buy or order their own gear even before they get their A... again judging by posts here as well as people i know.

Maybe it's just a personality thing too. I personally like to know what I'm jumping, and why, as well as understanding that me loading a 150 at 1:1 is not the same as someone else loading a 210 at 1:1.

AFF for me was about knowing what to do if something shit happens or practicing canopy skills like increasing the range etc. The stress levels are high enough without simple math being thrown in.

We were talking about A-licence level weren't we??!! Again maybe a personal thing, but I believe that understanding more about your equipment decreases rather than increases stress levels
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Here's the x-rays, sorry for the poor quality of the first one - I guess the Spanish Dr was in a rush LOL.

X-ray 2 and 3 are post op and show the screws in place. This was taken after the staples had been removed.

The photo was taken about a week after the op, and about two and a half weeks after the accident. Note the bruising to the lower foot and calf.

Enjoy and learn from my mistake >:(, good luck all :ph34r:.

Out of 10,000 feet of fall, always remember that the last half inch hurts the most — Captain Charles W. Purcell, 1932

Reading between the lines here on dropzone it looks like there are various difference between the uUK and US licences.

To my limited and humble knowledge I believe that in the us you don't have to do a hop n pop from relatively low altitude to be awarded your A license.

In the UK, we have 8 AFF levels (assuming you are following the AFF progression), and then a minima of a further 10 consolidaion jumps practising what we've done on the 8 AFF levels.

As part of your consol jumps, you also learn different exits (centre float, rear float, unstable etc etc), as well as extending your understanding of canopy control (extending range, increasing accuracy etc etc).

Sorry for being vague, but I don't know the USPA requirements for getting your A...

Perhaps an instructor ho reads this could point out the differences.

Many thanks.

US and Brit standards are pretty much the same. I have both USPA and BPA. US AFF has 7 lvls to get off student status. To get your "A" you need to have a min of 25 jumps and complete given tasks with a coach or instruct. The tasks include: RW, tracking, water landings, Hop'n Pop and canopy control. If you go on USPA.org you can see what is required for the USPA "A". There is an actual score sheet that you have to complete and send to USPA.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress