potatoman

Stowed brakes, front riser - turns opposite

This the phenomena when your brakes are still stowed, and you do say a right hand front riser turn, that the canopy would turn left. The more lift due to more "bend" on the right hand side of the canopy......

I only heard this. Wanted to try this now for a long time, but always forget, and don't try and stow your brakes in the air, hehehe.

Is there specific canopies/loadings where this work best?
Maybe it is not even true.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Yeah, I experienced the phenomenon while demoing a Storm. I'm taking what I posted on their Facebook group page. By the way, I was probably loading the main at about 1.1-1.2.

Start of the post:

Just demoed Storm 135 at Spaceland this past weekend:

Nice snivel and plenty of flare!

Side note: after opening & before unstowing the toggles I pulled on a forward riser expecting to enter a diving turn only to have the canopy turn slowly into the opposite direction.

I repeated with the opposite side, same response. Did the same thing again on the next jump, same thing it either would turn slowly into the opposite direction OR stay straight until I pull more on the riser.

But once I unstow the toggles and pull on each forward riser, it would enter in a normal diving turn in the proper direction.

Might be insignificant but it was interesting to discover that cross control is possible, especially on a Storm.

End of post.

Due to the low rate of turn there was never a concern. It made for an interesting observance.

>This the phenomena when your brakes are still stowed, and you do say a right hand
>front riser turn, that the canopy would turn left.

Several of my canopies exhibit a similar behavior; a very small amount of left brake causes a right turn. This, I believe, is due to more lift on that side of the canopy. Pull the brake down further and drag starts to dominate, causing a left turn.

Booked a HP specially for this.
Hornet 150 - WL - 1.4, will "observe".
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.

My canopy did not display this behaviour. I tried doing 1/4 of riser length, half, and full riser length on the front with the brakes stowed. I could only get a little bit of turn to the side I am pulling, and then it would go straight. So, I suppose it was working, but would not turn me to the opposite direction.