fcajump

Flag System in canopy, new design suggestions

I am looking to build a new under canopy flag storage pouch that is sewn in on a Spectre, but looking to see what others might have done with this so as to not repeat other's mistakes.

I have previously worked with a canopy that had a flag storage system built between the C-D line attach points on a canopy that had extended line attach points ~6" below the bottom skin (design name escapes me at the moment).  This meant there was a stable place to build the bag.  Unfortunately the canopy I want to use does not have this line attach type.

I have also worked with one that was connected via links to the more common (current) line attach points on a Spectre.  (This system was found to be susceptible to a flip through between the links, a condition that could capture other lines during packing, and the design was abandoned).

Aside - for small flag (3x5 / 4x6), I have a ankle to riser setup I've used for 30 years and like... for BIG stuff a weighted drop system is necessary, but for mid-sized I prefer them mounted between slider and canopy as its MUCH easier to keep it off the ground, and there is no weight to hit either yourself, your crew, or the wayward kid that runs out in front of you when they get by your new crewman.

Warning for newbies who might read this... messing with ANYTHING in your canopy requires a rigger, a strong design/plan, and an even stronger emergency response when your design has an unanticipated flaw.  The flip-through issue was discovered when a brake line was captured, resulting in a backward spinning canopy at 2,000' despite a dozen prior successful jumps.

Has anyone here used (or better... built) such a system that would like to share their notes?

JW