wmw999

Everyone makes a difference

This is weird, but somehow seems appropriate. Here's the obituary of a local man. I took the names out because, while it's in the paper, they might really not want the kind of nationwide publicity that dz.com can bring them ;-P    (the new dz.com smilies really suck, so it's back to old school emoticons)

It is with heavy hearts, that our family announces the peaceful passing of D, 64, on Thursday, August 10, 2023. He was born in Northampton, Massachusetts. He was the beloved son of his parents. He graduated from Amherst Regional High School in 1976. He began his career with Stop & Shop, working for over 47 years in the produce department. He served his community as a volunteer with the Pelham Fire Department, advancing to the rank of Deputy Chief until his retirement. On September 12, 1992, he married his wife. Together they spent 30 years making memories in their home in Shutesbury, Massachusetts.

He enjoyed NASCAR, collecting beer steins, and country music. Both he and his best friend were model train enthusiasts and often looked forward to attending shows together. He and his wife also loved to travel, highlighted by their 25th anniversary trip to London. They both loved exploring the East and West coasts, especially when accompanied by their good friends.

In addition to his mother and beloved wife,he is survived by his brother and his brother's family. He will be greatly missed by his mother in law and his sisters in law.

In lieu of donations and flowers, Donny’s family asks that you “pay it forward” with an act of kindness in his memory.

Yeah, he was a lifelong grocery store employee. But he was also a volunteer fireman, in a part of the country with lots of old wooden houses that do burn. He had normal-person hobbies (well, maybe the trains were a little old-school...)

That's how you build a life. Piece by piece, and asking for people to pay it forward is wonderful, and why I've shared this. Skydiving is a piece of our lives for most of it; nurture the whole thing.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

We still get our city Sunday paper, although it is thinner and smaller every year.  One thing I like to do is read the obits, scanning to find ones that seem interesting to me.  I like to see what the deceased family thought of him / her, what value they brought to the lives of others or what value they chose to create for themselves.

There is also the interesting puzzle of reading between the lines, all families have some drama, divorces, blended families, difficult relationships often get alluded to obliquely and it is entertaining to read into names mentioned and omitted and descriptive word choices to try to assemble a more complete picture of a life lived.

Most are like this person, "worked hard all their life, loved spending time with their family and friends and pursuing hobbies" but occasionally you get someone that really says to me "that was a life really well lived" or even "that was an obit well written" (not that a simple life isn't worth celebrating)

Also, Wendy I was able to find the name of the person easily through google, but perhaps that wasn't your intent, It may have been just to prevent someone searching the name from finding this post on DZ.com. 

• Like 1