Safelandings

Looking for a detailed packing video

mcordell

Since when does a rigger have to approve a main packing method? If someone learns the basic pro pack it's not that hard to learn to precision pack. It's the same until you bag the canopy. I think everyone should be able to pro pack first but if they want to transition to precision packing after that then it's really their business.

If we're talking about someone so new to the sport that they're looking for a packing video, I'd really advise them to talk to one first. Unless they want to trust J Random Skydiver to teach them how to do it.

I'd have a hard time finding a non-rigging-staff packer who'd be willing to show me. The ones I've met are trained to pro-pack and seem suspicious of other methods. So I think it's good advice (again, to someone starting out, right?) that they talk to a rigger, get the potential pros and cons and learn how to do it correctly.

But hey, it's your canopy and your money. Personally I don't use it because my end cells tend to inflate very slowly and have a higher risk of line twists with a psycho pack. I can handle line twists and can handle slowly inflating end cells, but I'm not super anxious to experience both at the same time.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I haven't heard any thing about "Flat Packing" yet. To the original poster, if you want to know how your canopy comes together laying on it's side, learn how to flat pack. The original Ram Air pack job. Pro packing is the standard pack job by most people. but it won't hurt to "know"
flat packing.
Life is short ... jump often.

FlyingRhenquest

***Since when does a rigger have to approve a main packing method? If someone learns the basic pro pack it's not that hard to learn to precision pack. It's the same until you bag the canopy. I think everyone should be able to pro pack first but if they want to transition to precision packing after that then it's really their business.

If we're talking about someone so new to the sport that they're looking for a packing video, I'd really advise them to talk to one first. Unless they want to trust J Random Skydiver to teach them how to do it.

I'd have a hard time finding a non-rigging-staff packer who'd be willing to show me. The ones I've met are trained to pro-pack and seem suspicious of other methods. So I think it's good advice (again, to someone starting out, right?) that they talk to a rigger, get the potential pros and cons and learn how to do it correctly.

But hey, it's your canopy and your money. Personally I don't use it because my end cells tend to inflate very slowly and have a higher risk of line twists with a psycho pack. I can handle line twists and can handle slowly inflating end cells, but I'm not super anxious to experience both at the same time.

That's a post I can agree with for sure. You seemed so hateful toward psycho packing (precision packing) before but it is a sound packing method. I understand why it's not for you. I don't pack that way but I probably wouldn't with my sabre 2 for the same reasons you don't. I wouldn't mind doing it with my triathlon or my joule. I donly pack a raven that way for someone else but that's not jumped often. I pro pack his manta and his navigator though.

My point was there isn't anything wrong with that method but it's not for everyone or for every canopy. People have to make their own decision on what is best for them. If I were showing a new jumper how to pack I would exclusively teach them to pro pack. I don't mind a flat pack though...it's OK to kick it old school.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

+1 For the PD blog vids on youtube. As a fellow Canadian, after learning the basics of packing I spent many days during the winter with my canopy on the living room floor and Nick Grillets video on packing a large canopy as a guide while I bagged my old sabre 1. I will assume that since you bought new gear, you have kept downsizing in mind and bought one that will fit your new pilot now and a smaller ??? in the future? I recently bought a brand new sabre2 190, and for the life of me could not bag it. It was like trying to shove 3 cats into a bath tub. A friend of mine told me to try the "Wolmari" method to solve my bagging issues. Best advice I ever got, no cursing while packing any more. PD blog vids are still relevant, and try it their way first, but if you find yourself cursing at your new rig and wondering how the F you are going to cram this slippery sack of Northern Pike slime into a d-bag that describes your new Pilots size as "full fitting" try the Wolmari method.
Bad decisions make good stories!!