xlh883

Static line to AFF with 2 year layoff

After being discouraged after 11-12 unsuccessful static line jumps, I am going to a different DZ on Sunday for my first AFF jump.

Boy am I scared! :)

Hopefully this will work out for me this time. I just couldn't quite grab the practice ripcord before the chute threw me around. The previous DZ was of little help and without AFF training.

My thinking is that this will be a different learning process as well as a new chance to do something I want to do.

Any thoughts or advice? Should I even tell the instructors about my previous experiences?

David

Should I even tell the instructors about my previous experiences?

Yes, any competent instructor will want to know about your previous experiences. Plenty of people struggle in one method yet thrive in another. Be honest and have fun. It will be a totally different experience for you!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Thank you for your advice. I didn't want to appear to know everything but I don't necessarily need to be talked to like a brand new student either. I will take in everything they say though. Since it has been awhile, I need to treat this as a new thig I am trying out.

David

I did the same after 10 S/L jumps where I forgot to arch on most of them. I was really scared about not being able to arch in freefall, but to my relief I only needed a couple of seconds to get stable and arch like a banana.... (The X position took a couple of jumps to de-learn, though.)

The learning process is quite different, and while most potential skydivers can probably choose any, some of us are best suited for one of the alternatives. That's life :-)

Why do you think not telling your instructors about your former jumps would be a good idea? They will probably notice you are not nervous in the same way as some of the other students, and they will certainly notice that you actually have canopy skills... They have probably also taught former SL students before, so they can tune the training a bit.

I was really worried about my arching problems (as well as problems of letting go from the plane), and told my instructors about it. They just said "well, let's give it a try and I am sure you'll do great!" And it worked - 2 seconds and I was like a (grinning) banana ;-)

This is exactly how I felt. I needed the extra half second to pull the ripcord and I JUST COULD NOT DO IT IN TIME. I started to shop around for an AFF course.

After 10 simulations, some successful some less, but never 3 in a row, my instructor figured that I could do it and I finally did it on my jump 23 - 4 seconds. I always knew I could do it and could not understand what the fuss is all about. I am progressing nicely now, except for the landings, but with SL I get plenty of time to practice on.

I fell a lot more confident without the cord and the exits don't scare me so much any more. I used to imagine a million things to go wrong if I do less than a perfect exit, attached to the line. Now I know that I WILL ARCH AND I WILL PULL THE CORD.

Being scared is good for the soul.
Jumping in a couple of weeks after a 5 month lay off so I'll be a bit twitchy myself on that first load.
Aff isn't cheap but it's a small price to pay for something that changes the direction of your Life forever.

Listen to what your instructor(s) tells you.
Do exactly what your instructor(s) tell you to do.
RELAX.

AFF Rocks ;)

Be Safe.
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

I figured I wasn't the only person that had problems with S/L. My new AFF instructor told me the technique is quite outdated and he wasn't surprised it didn't work for me. After 8 hours of instruction I felt much more comfortable and confident, while still a little scared.

Unfortunately, I did not get to do my AFF-1 jump that day as the ground winds picked up above student maximum.

As for me being afraid to tell the instructors, it was just because I didn't want to appear to know more than anyone else or to be a "know it all." The manifest lady asked about previous experience any way while do my paperwork. They want to know so they can tailor the class some. It turned out to be a really good thing as the instructor was able to mostly break me of putting my arms all the way out in the "X" pattern you spoke of. I am pretty sure I can arch properly and he said I did that pretty well during the dirt diving. Only the first jump will tell.

I have the jump rescheduled for Friday at 0700 with a 1-hour review of the class prior. I am really looking forward to it. I have been very disappointed since Sunday and have been loosing sleep every night since I originally scheduled the class last Thursday. I truly believe I can become a good Skydiver.

My plan is to do the jump Friday and if all goes well, keep going.l I am taking a week of leave starting Thursday night. With exception of Friday, I plan to be at the DZ each day to do at least one jump.

I am hoping I will get to jump out of the Otter instead of the 206 as all my S/L was in a 182. I just would prefer the "normal" jump airplane of the 206. I know I will jump out of it sooner or later, just preference.

Thanks for the advice.

David