1 1
dpreguy

Jim Dishroon D Day Paratrooper

On this June 5th, I remember Jim Dishroon, WWII Paratrooper,  my friend, fellow skydiver who died several years ago.  He was one of those brave paratroopers who jumped behind enemy lines on the night before D Day.  I think when I knew Jim he weighed about 100 lbs, if that.  I don't know his story of what he did after jumping out of the C-47 Dakota, but a friend of mine said Jim once said the "Germans were shooting at us while we were coming down under parachute."  Or words to that effect.  I jumped a bit with Jim (he didn't jump too often).  Jim drove an old Volkswagon (Hmmnn.. never asked him about that), chain smoked, pretty salty guy.   He got his JOE (Jumpers Over Eighty) patch and I sewed all of his patches on his parachute container.  Sides - flap- everywhere.  After he died his son gave me his old helmet, gloves, dirt alert, goggles, etc.  He was the real deal.  I still have the stuff. Here's to Jim Dishroon.  The real deal.

• Like 2

(edited)

Hi,

Maybe Mr. Dishroon was in the 507th PIR. This is a film about their jump on D Day, their fight at the Battle of the Bulge and their jump at Operation Varsity.

d-day Down to Earth – Return of the 507th

A unit of the 507th is training parachutists at Fort Benning now.

Thank You, Mr. Dishroon.

Al Paradowski, SCR 002

Edited by ArvinAlP64
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, ArvinAlP64 said:

Hi,

Maybe Mr. Dishroon was in the 507th PIR. This is a film about their jump on D Day, their fight at the Battle of the Bulge and their jump at Operation Varsity.

d-day Down to Earth – Return of the 507th

A unit of the 507th is training parachutists at Fort Benning now.

Thank You, Mr. Dishroon.

Al Paradowski, SCR 002

Just watched it. Very well done.