riggerrob

“Touching the Dragon” by James Hatch

Retired US Navy SEAL James Hatch has written a book about three distinct phases of his life. The first third - of the book - outlines James’ “Action Man” career as a US NAVY SEAL door-kicker and parachute instructor until he was shot during a capture-or-kill raid in Afghanistan.

The bullet shattered James’ left femur and ended his military career. The middle third of “Dragon” details his medical recovery for that crippling gun shot wound.

The final third - almost half - of ‘Dragon details his recovery from alcoholism, depression, opiate addiction and a suicide attempt. The wound ruined his self-identity as it left him screaming on the battlefield. James harshly criticized himself for in-professional screaming on the battlefield.
Boredom, pain and hallucinogenic drugs made him lose touch with reality and he turned to the bottle for splice. There is a humorous anecdote about why nurses refused him “Parachutist” magazine!
Today James still limps and struggles with PTSD, but credits medics, his team-mates and wife with helping him return to reality. James also explains how skydiving can help traumatized veterans find their place in civilian life after wartime service.

Skydivers can learn a lot from James’ experiences especially about how important team-mates can be while recovery from injuries. James also emphasizes the importance of wounded jumpers naming their problems, bringing problems out in the open where they can be dealt with.

Just read an excerpt via Amazon and it appears to be written with the kind of wry gallows humor that many fine books about the military experience are documented with. I'm definitely getting that (Touching the Dragon) to read, and soon, so thanks for the heads-up, Rob B|

I'm currently reading "Save the Last Bullet for Yourself", by Rob Krott, a former infantry officer turned freelance who saw action in the Balkans and HOA in the 90's. Who thought sheer terror could be so funny? :D

mh

ps - How are you coping after your little boo-boo a while back? I've seen that Pitt Meadows shut down. Is Chilliwack still open? Where are you working?

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

A decade after that King Air crash, I still struggle physically, emotionally and financially. This summer I could not hike for two months because of sore knees.
I recently joined another group therapy session to learn better coping strategies for dealing with anxiety.
Finally, I just wrote an angry letter - to a lawyer - suggesting that they owe me 15 months back wages.

The DZ at Chilliwack shut down around 2000 and Pitt Meadows shut in October 2017.
The last few summers I have gone to Victoria to do tandems, but only one weekend this year.
I have done some fun jumps at Abbotsford. Abby has invested heavily in updates and improvements (pin checks, Kodiak, etc.) now that (son) Jessie is gradually assuming control, but the place has a different emotional vibe that I am still figuring out.