patworks

Merit Badges

The USPA licenses (A thru D) and ratings (jumpmasters, I/E, etc.) are obviously required to establish, promote and maintain a degree of safety in parachuting in general, and filling out paperwork specifically.
Of course, these licenses have nothing to do with parachuting skill (just as having a driver's license doesn't insure that you are a good driver.)
In RW there are two merit badges recognized by all participants both here and abroad as proof of RW proficiency. These are the Bob Buquor Memorial Starcrests: the SCR and SCS.
An SCR recipient has: "Participated in a Free Fall Star Formation involving eight or more skydivers in a completed circle held together for a minimum time of 5 seconds or 1000 feet.
This one may have been given you. Even so, those who gave it had to be real RWers who wanted to relate with you. Either way, it's meaningful.

The SCS must be earned. "...By entering into this star formation as 8th or after..." The SCS proves a degree of skill at flying both early and late. This is important at a big star attempt, and SCR Scrambles, or when you are visiting another RW drop zone. This way, when the Starmaster or manifestor sizes up your skill by eyeball, he can temper the fact that you're 5'6", weigh 210 lbs. and are called "Bowling Ball" by your friends with the fact that you are an SCS recipient, and thus can fly.

(United We Fall, Chapter 6) http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~esj/uwf/uwf6.htm
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Hi Pat, every word true!

I have both the SCR and SCS. I trained students, put them out, talked them down, etc., at one of the largest DZs around (Z-Hills), but never had a USPA license...

And your book "United We Fall." 30 years after you and Jan wrote that thing, I find out I'm mentioned in it (chapter 5, Pre-Stars, hey man, you're late). It's really fun to read through it now and remember those who wrote it and how cool a time it was...

Thanks!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519