jdobleman

Big Al Stewart - Northern California

I am very sad to tell you that Al, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last Thursday morning November 5. He died of what appears to have been a severe allergic reaction, and early findings indicate an undiagnosed condition that he has had for many years.

Al’s mom is holding a church service on Saturday November 21 in Stockton Kansas , the small town in western Kansas where Al grew up.

Al's wife, Lynne, is planning a gathering in Nor Cal on Saturday, December 5th. IM me for details

My favorite memories of Big Al are seeing him in the door of an airplane and looking back at us and saying "I love this shit". Somes it up. I might never have made it to Lost Prairie if it hadn't have been for Big Al.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

As big as he was physically, Al's capacity to enjoy life made him seem even bigger. Like Mad John, I remember those days when he would stand in the door of the DC-3 (the only plane he could really stand up in), his face out in the wind, his skin pressed back by the air pressure, and this giant smile on his face, looking perfectly comfortable and happy. It just made you feel that everything was going to go right.

Even if they haven't broken the mold he came from, there aren't many people big enough to fill it.

Wow...just got on this forum. I can remember many good times with Al and his bride-to-be Lynne at Grandpa's Jumpfest and then at Lodi. I remember him looking out the window at the Hyatt Union Square, thinking maybe a base jump would be an easy way to escape getting married! Good memories of a great guy.