NickDG

Brian's Memorial . . .

We attended Brian Schubert's Memorial Service this past Saturday in Pomona, California . . .

Held in a beautiful ninety-five-year old church I tried counting pews full of people but quit after about five hundred. Brian certainly didn't take the safe route through life. The place is full of policeman, firemen, bikers, and BASE jumpers. The family stood strong and proud and all of them rose to say their piece right down to the two small grand children. The United States Flag is presented twice, once by an Army honor guard in deference to Brian's service as a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne, and once by the Pomona Police Department where he retired as a Lieutenant.

The family made us cry and the cops and firemen made us laugh. We should all be so fortunate as to have a life as full and as grand as Brian had . . .

There was a large reception afterwards at the Pomona Fairgrounds and we finally got Mike Pelkey up to the microphone (he hates public speaking) with every jumper there backing him up. And as usual he did fine. I also said a few words as did Johnny Utah.

As for the rest of the BASE jumpers there – Tina, Brian's daughter, was so happy you came, and she made me promise to say so. And I have to also say this - to the two skydivers, Clark and his wife, you make me proud to say I'm a jumper. They didn't even know Brian, and they put on their good clothes and came anyway just because they thought they should . . .

Brian had a full ride and we were all winners for knowing him. The hardest trick in life is to leave the world better off than when you found it – and Brian did that in spades . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Brian's family is truly an amazing group of people. You could see how much of an inspiration Brian's life had on the people who met him, and even those who hadn't. it's amazing how one person can influence so many people in such a positive way. i feel I left Pomona a better person than I arrived, and I am greatful to Brian's family and friends who not only allowed us to attend, but welcomed us with open arms, hearts, and homes.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

The memorial was a tribute to a wonderful guy who made a lot of friends through his years. Everyone who had the pleasure of knowing Brian will miss his warm, caring personality. I was blessed to be his friend. He was good to the bone.

What Nick should have said was that I hate speaking publicly after him. He is a terribly difficult act to follow.

My thanks to his wonderful family, his cop friends, fireman friends, motorcycle friends, fishing friends and to his myriad friends who didn't fit in any of those categories. To the base jumper friends: Collin, Jamie from San Francisco, Clark and Mindie from Pennsylvania, Marah from New York, Johnny from Chicago, and Nick and Julia from La Crescenta California, my family who adored Brian to pieces- my wife Toni, daughter Jacqui and son Brian. It is an honor and privilege to have got to know his wonderful family as well: Kurt and Tina, Chris, Cyndi and the boys, Hunter and Harrison, and Michelle and Danielle. We love you all. As Nick so eloquently put it, Brian sure left this world a much better place than he found it.

After the reception we all went to Tina and Kurt's house. I met a young lady there who told me an amazing story about Brian that I hadn't heard before. I will share it.

When Brian was a patrol car cop, he was dispatched to the young lady's house. It turned out that she had been in an abusive relationship and when her guy left her, he kidnapped her little boy and took him away to Mexico. Brian promised her that he would not let him get away with that. He rented a van, donned a wig and glasses, and headed down to Mexico to get the boy away from his abductor for her. After Brian brought the boy home, he picked him up every morning and took him to school in his squad car and waited for him each night after school to take him home. That is the kind of guy my dear old buddy Brian was. Its no wonder to me that he left so many people behind who loved him so much.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny