wmw999

Good editorial on connections vs. discrimination in NY Times

Here. It's on their public page, so unless you've already read 10 articles in the Times online, it should be viewable.

The basic thesis seems to be that

The most obvious explanation for this entrenched disparity is racial discrimination. But in my research I have found a somewhat different culprit: favoritism. Getting an inside edge by using help from family and friends is a powerful, hidden force driving inequality in the United States

The source of this favoritism? The same networking, linked-in, etc. that people use to get interviews, get a "leg up," get access to the HR departments of companies.

And with higher unemployment and a larger proliferation of online applications/resumes, it's more true now, rather than less true, I have a feeling, that connections are more important than qualifications.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have a feeling, that connections are more important than qualifications.

Just take a look at the sad state of the political system today to find verification.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

It's not racism (in most cases, at least), but it's still part of the tilted playing field that comes from having some classes marginalized for hundreds of years.

It'll never be perfect, no doubt of that. But anyone who says that we all have the same chance at success is full of crap. Some have to work a LOT harder for it, and massive success takes luck as well as skill. And people with connections have more luck.

Personally, I think that those who are lucky do, in fact, bear some responsibility to help those who aren't as lucky -- even if they're not cute and fluffy.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It's not racism (in most cases, at least), but it's still part of the tilted playing field that comes from having some classes marginalized for hundreds of years.

It'll never be perfect, no doubt of that. But anyone who says that we all have the same chance at success is full of crap. Some have to work a LOT harder for it, and massive success takes luck as well as skill. And people with connections have more luck.

Personally, I think that those who are lucky do, in fact, bear some responsibility to help those who aren't as lucky -- even if they're not cute and fluffy.

Wendy P.

I agree - most things come down to "who you know".
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka