ianmdrennan

Shooting - MIT, details still coming

reports are that there are two suspects, possibly a chase for them right now, maybe only a manhunt.

ETA:
scratch that. one in custody, one at large. lots of speculation, no real details released other than one MIT campus PD officer is down, deceased at hospital, and radio traffic indicates his pistol was stolen. no link shown to marathon bombers, no evidence precluding a link.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

now reports of IEDs on scene, bomb techs going to work. reports of officers, journalists, and others being told to turn off mobile devices "as a precaution".

remarks concerning grenade or dynamite blast. could be an IED caused the marks you mentioned?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Whose vehicle was stolen, the MIT officer? Was he SWAT or something? I can't imagine every campus cop carries flash bangs.
witty subliminal message
1*

I don't know. I'm listening to the live feed and reading the older stuff at the same time.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It sounds like they have one in custody, and have the other cornered with a VERY secure perimeter. I just hope they bag the bastard without anyone else getting hurt (citizens, police, suspect, in that order). WIsh we could know one way or the other about marathon connection or lack thereof.
witty subliminal message
1*

Yep. Prayers for the good folks.

Making entry into a building now. They just called for an ambulance. Bad guys have long guns. Jesus.

Scanner link for others: http://tunein.com/radio/Boston-Police-Fire-and-EMS-Scanner-s146109/ If it doesn't work, hit "try again"

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It sounds like they have one in custody, and have the other cornered with a VERY secure perimeter. I just hope they bag the bastard without anyone else getting hurt (citizens, police, suspect, in that order). WIsh we could know one way or the other about marathon connection or lack thereof.

We're not going to know that until a press conference of some sort tomorrow morning.

My experience tonight with this on Twitter has been "interesting" to say the least. I picked up the scanner feed from a tweet by On The Media, the NPR show, maybe 30 minutes before CNN started covering it on air. Listening to the scanner was insane. I've listened to a lot of scanners during events over the years and I've never heard a chase like that. Just nuts.

Lots of interesting side tweets going on between people...
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sounds more and more like it's our marathon bombers. Apparently this all started with a carjacking at a gas station, or possibly a poorly reported car theft. Now they're pushing reporters further back, talking about confirmed IEDs and long guns. Multiple SWAT units responding, an incident command truck on scene.

(I'm not saying it is the bombers, just more and more info coming in and none of it points AWAY from it being the guys)

Also, a dispatcher used the phrase "middle eastern male, clean shaven". Nothing positive, but it sure leans that way...
witty subliminal message
1*

Sounds more and more like it's our marathon bombers. Apparently this all started with a carjacking at a gas station, or possibly a poorly reported car theft. Now they're pushing reporters further back, talking about confirmed IEDs and long guns. Multiple SWAT units responding, an incident command truck on scene.

(I'm not saying it is the bombers, just more and more info coming in and none of it points AWAY from it being the guys)

Also, a dispatcher used the phrase "middle eastern male, clean shaven". Nothing positive, but it sure leans that way...

Perhaps it is the bombers. That was my first thought. Quade will now attack me:D

-NickDG

FBI photos
http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/photos

Now there are "sources" suggesting LEOs have #1 (black hat) in custody and have surrounded the younger skinnier #2 (in the white hat).

FBI just put out a statement (seconds ago) now saying they don't believe the man in custody is either of the two suspects they've been looking for related to the bombing.
witty subliminal message
1*

oh god, this is going on maybe a mile from where my sister lives in Somerville. it's 2 am there, not sure whether to call her or just wait until tomorrow.

crazy stuff. So many conflicting reports...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I'm wondering why the hell National Guard is walking around weaponless with local/state LEOs. What, Mass PDs qualify for federally subsidized meat shields now?

ETA:
I'm also not a fan of SWAT and other special units wearing exact replicas of DoD issue gear. Copying style and supplier is one thing, but I wish they would use other color or camo scheme than ACM.
witty subliminal message
1*

Reports are that the first person taken into custody is deceased at the hospital, and that it was black hat suspect from marathon bombing. Reports only ATM.

EOD is continuing to detonate anything and everything that looks remotely out of place. Video all over.
witty subliminal message
1*

Reports are that the first person taken into custody is deceased at the hospital, and that it was black hat suspect from marathon bombing. Reports only ATM.

EOD is continuing to detonate anything and everything that looks remotely out of place. Video all over.

Well, that's ridiculous because I saw footage of the naked suspect very much alive handcuffed and being put into a squad car. They had stripped him to ensure he didn't have any sort of grenades or detonators on him. The footage ran on CNN. And it was trustworthy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver