Southern_Man

Tech manufacturing jobs return to US

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Labor is getting too expensive even in China/Taiwan and machines are getting cheaper. For this reason Foxconn is already starting to replace people with plans to buy a million robots between 2011 and 2014:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/01/us-foxconn-robots-idUSTRE77016B20110801

Robots cost the same whether they live overseas or at home in the US and don't take many people to run.

That may be the reason for the few jobs created in the US by the new Lenovo production line mentioned in the original article:

Lenovo announced last month that it was opening up a production line outside Greensboro, NC, and would begin turning out everything from tablets to engineering workstations next year. Total number of new manufacturing jobs for North Carolina residents: 115

It also ignores that such jobs don't necessarily pay well even when the positions call for skilled labor like CNC operators:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/magazine/skills-dont-pay-the-bills.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0&buffer_share=2278b&utm_source=buffer

At GenMet, the starting pay is $10 an hour. Those with an associate degree can make $15, which can rise to $18 an hour after several years of good performance. From what I understand, a new shift manager at a nearby McDonalds can earn around $14 an hour.