LongWayToFall

Parts kit gun builds... Anybody done one?

I have built an FAL, and have the parts and am planning to build an m64 yugo underfolder (AK47 type, milled receiver will require welding back together).

Can't wait to finish the AK!

I think for my next project, I would like to build some kind of (semi auto, obviously) SMG type rifle. The Suomi M-31 and KP-44 look pretty cool!

Here is a neat website that shows some pictures:

http://www.gunbuilds.com/

Click on Photo Gallery.

So, has anyone built anything from a parts kit???

I'm not sure what constitutes a part kit but I have built up my AR15 pistol from scratch. Closest thing to a kit was the trigger group. Is a kit a bag of parts you assemble or do you mean just buying the parts and making your own build?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. A typical parts kit is an imported military firearm, usually fully automatic, that has been de-milled by cutting the receiver and recently, the barrel too. Besides this, the gun is usually complete, and there is a variety of ways to get them going again (in a semi automatic version of course). For my FAL, I bought a complete receiver and installed the parts onto it. For the AK, I will be rewelding the peices together.
The most common is probably the AK, and one cool thing that lots of guys do is buy a partially built receiver, and complete it themselves. You don't even need to put a serial number on it unless you plan to sell it! You can get the receiver in "flat" form, with all the holes already drilled in it, and you bend it into shape, or buy a receiver already in the proper shape and drill the holes yourself.

About ARs, I am in the process of buying the components for my first AR build too! It will be in 450 Bushmaster, I can't wait.

You don't even need to put a serial number on it unless you plan to sell it!

Not sure the ATF would agree with you. Best confirm before doing. Oh, the joys of dealing with bureaucrats who make law by flipping a coin. I particularly live it when they change their mind without reason, or contradict themselves and expect you to figure it out.

And remember:

Receiver
Barrel
Barrel extensions
Mounting block (front trunion)
Muzzle attachment
Bolt
Bolt carrier
Operating rods (cocking handle)
Gas piston
Trigger housing
Trigger
Hammer
Sear
Disconnector
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Forearm, handguard
Magazine body
Follower
Floorplate

Though I've heard magazines may not count anymore.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yes, I am 922r compliant with my FAL and I have the parts for the AK when I build it.

The yugo is an m63, with milled receiver. The m70 is a stamped receiver.... quite a bit easier to build though. My barrel it pretty shitty and depending on how it looks after a few rounds I may end up cutting the barrel, drilling it out, and pressing in a regular press in barrel. The m63 has a threaded barrel and nobody sells new ones (or even good quality used ones) but you can make the threaded portion a sleeve to accept a press in standard barrel (lots out there for cheap).

If mags are no good for 922r compliance, it is news to me! A ton of people will be completely fucked if that is the case, because you get 3 parts from just the mag. If they don't count anymore gun builds will go WAY up, because people will start having to replace barrels and other expensive pieces.

So,,,, I think instead of an SMG, (or maybe in addition to?) I now want to build an MG42.... (well, it would be a M53, same gun but made in Yugo).

It would be semi automatic obviously, but what a rad peice of hardware!!
Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipVRs7r5Wk

Some builds are much harder than others. The simple ones can be done in a couple of hours with simple tools, even by a first timer.

You can save a lot of money building yourself, and it is a fun project. Also, those who have no interest in the government keeping track of gun ownership have the ability to build a gun without having anything go through a FFL, or fill out any paperwork.

Find a local forum for guns, and go to an AK "build party". You just bring your kit, a receiver flat, and your 922 parts and someone there with a press will help you build the receiver. I plan on building another AK over the winter holiday season, and hopefully buying the mg42 kit as well. Good times!