virgin-burner

yay, way to go "kill team" america!!!

as i said in the OP; one would think those measures should have been taken long time ago.. [:/]

One would also think that an isolated incident doesn't prove that no measures were taken at all....IF they bother to *actually* think, that is.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

as i said in the OP; one would think those measures should have been taken long time ago.. [:/]

One would also think that an isolated incident doesn't prove that no measures were taken at all....IF they bother to *actually* think, that is.

oh yea; since the whole regiment knew about it.. there's a whole bunch that wouldnt "actually" think.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

as i said in the OP; one would think those measures should have been taken long time ago..

Are you under the impression that the investigation and trial are happening because of the published photos? They are not. The Army investigated, arrested, confined the suspect long before the pictures got out, and it is currently putting them through the courts (one guilty plea, the others are scheduled for trial unless they plea).

So, again, what exactly do you want them to have done differently?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

as i said in the OP; one would think those measures should have been taken long time ago..

Are you under the impression that the investigation and trial are happening because of the published photos? They are not. The Army investigated, arrested, confined the suspect long before the pictures got out, and it is currently putting them through the courts (one guilty plea, the others are scheduled for trial unless they plea).

So, again, what exactly do you want them to have done differently?

to prevent it to happen? it's all fine and good they're being trialed, tough i think 24yrs is not enough for the one guy, actually, all of them involved..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

This was an isolated group of as few as two men committing atrocities. Abu Ghraib was a systemic and intentional committing of war crimes from the highest level down. The situations are not the same at all, and the media should not treat them the same.

What exactly do you mean by isolated? Were these soldiers alone when this happened? How did thousands of these photos get taken if this was isolated? Surely someone would have said something before that many of these incidents could have happened, right?

Have you even bothered to read the thread? It was policy to photograph the dead for identification.

What, do you think every single one of those photos constitutes a murder or a war crime?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

What exactly do you mean by isolated? Were these soldiers alone when this happened? How did thousands of these photos get taken if this was isolated? Surely someone would have said something before that many of these incidents could have happened, right?

I mean isolated, as in the only evidence so far is that men from a single squad have been charged with three murders. Everything else is conjecture.

The fact that Der Spiegel claims to have 4,000 photos does not mean that this squad killed 4,000 civilians. The one soldier convicted thus far was convicted of killing three civilians. That's clearly inexcusable and disgusting, but the leap that you seem to be making in assuming this unit was responsible for thousands more is preposterous. I have thousands of photos from Afghanistan, too, and I managed not to kill any civilians at all.

- Dan G

Much as I would like to spin it, I see no way to defend the indefensible.

One truth is that these atrocities would not have taken place had proper leadership been present.

But the greater (and sadder) truth is that those people would not have been victims if American soldiers had not been there to begin with, in a place that does not welcome them or want their help.

Acts like this serve only to strengthen the Taliban. And yes, the Taliban commit all kinds of unspeakable acts and get away with them, because - hey, they're a bunch of freedom-fighting heroes on a mission from god, so they get a pass.

I believed (and still do) that Iraq was a just cause. We've rid the world of a monster, and killed off a lot of jihadis. But now --

Enough atrocities in our name. Enough blood and treasure squandered. Let someone else fix Afghanistan. Let not one more American (or Afghani) life be lost because of us. Let the Taliban have it. Karzai can (and should) fend for himself. If he can't, he shouldn't be in charge.

I think it's high time for Atlas to shrug.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

As an Army, we are troubled that any soldier would lose his ‘moral compass’ as one soldier said during his trial.

The soldiers' "moral compass " was off heading because the entire mission is immoral.
Our nation as a whole has lost its' moral bearings.

We torture. We send our children to fight wars so that our corporations can post black ink. We no longer can claim moral superiority over even the most immoral regimes of history.

And we wonder why the youths we train to be killers have lost their "moral compass"?
Because their trainers couldn't themselves point out True North.

Peace,
Jim B.