lewmonst

Come on Maine!!! NO on 1! Get to the polls!

same sex marriage.

(please excuse my poor slang spelling in the poll title)

Does a yes legalize it or abolish it as in a state constitutional amendment? COme on bro, gotta give us the details, there are a couple Americans who don't live in Maine!

I was intentionally not explaining it, hoping those that cared would already know or make the effort to look it up.

Probably set expectations too high in that sense.

A "YES" vote would reject the new law and continue to prohibit same-sex couples from marrying.

A "NO" vote would allow the new law to take effect, permitting same-sex couples to marry.

Summary: This referendum asks whether Maine voters want to reject or accept amendments to the state's marriage laws that were enacted by the Legislature and approved by the Governor in May 2009. The new law would allow same-sex couples to marry in Maine. It also would recognize such marriages lawfully performed in other states. It would allow individuals who are authorized to perform marriages to refuse to perform a marriage for a same-sex couple. Finally, the law does not allow any court or governmental body to compel, prevent or interfere in any way with a religious institution's doctrines, policies, teaching or practices regarding marriage.

After the legislation making the above changes was enacted in May, 2009, petitioners collected a sufficient number of signatures of registered voters to refer it to the people for a vote at a statewide election. The effect of the legislation has been suspended pending the outcome of the election.

A "YES" vote would reject the new law and continue to prohibit same-sex couples from marrying.

A "NO" vote would allow the new law to take effect, permitting same-sex couples to marry.

The law was already passed, what's being voted on is the referendum to reject the law. So voting NO is a vote to reject the referendum, allowing the law and allowing same-sex marriage. I wonder how confused the voters will be based on how convoluted the text of the law and referendum are.
http://www.exitshot.com

I was intentionally not explaining it, hoping those that cared would already know or make the effort to look it up.

Probably set expectations too high in that sense.

And I was hoping the thread starter would explain all this: I won B|

But yea, these deals are often written as thought reversers and I hate that. Why not propose: Gay Marriage: yes or no.

"YES" is the "change" option and "NO" is the "status quo" option for propositions.

This means that propositions related to same sex marriage are going to be confusing because the law will usually say nothing about it and tacitly support it (e.g. California before prop 8), or as some states are starting to do, expressly allow it (e.g. Maine). The only way you can get the law to expressly forbid it is to stick it on the ballot and let a bunch of people pick up their torches and pitchforks and march to the polls in a hateful ignorant mob.