cliffwhite

The Emergency Broadcasting System

Now I don't know if you are familiar with the emergency broadcasting system.
Some of you may be.
For those of you in the dark it is a system by which the governments(federal,state,and local) can get out information,over the broadcast airwaves, to the population quickly during an emergency situation .
It is supposed to start with an attention getting tone, followed by official information, news, or instructions.

On 9-11,when the nation was "under attack" the emergency broadcasting system or emergency alert system was never utilized.

How can this be? They interrupt regular broadcasting on a set schedule to test this system ,but during an actual emergency, the nation under attack, the system was not utilized.
No government information, no government instructions ,and no government warnings.

Could it be that the government knew the majority of the population was not at risk?
How could they know that when according to Andy Card (to the Presidents ear),"the nation is under attack" ?

Blues,
Clif
2muchTruth

One acronym.

F.E.M.A. B|

Oh no you don't ! Don't be disparaging F.E.M.A. !!!

That is the one agency which was *on the ball* on 9-11.
As a matter of fact they set up operations on one of the piers in New York city the night before 9-11 in preparation for this disaster.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

anybody want some popcorn? these threads are fun to watch. humorous too.

Do you have extra butter?
I'm glad you find this "humorous" rhaig.
Let's see, 3000 or so were killed on 9-11 and at least 4000 US troops have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan with an untold number coming back to the states severely maimed and an no one can really say how many have come back mentally deranged.
Iraqis and Afganastanis killed? Who knows.

And why are we there at war?

But yeah, just kick back and enjoy the Orville Recckenbaker,rhaig.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

One acronym.

F.E.M.A. B|

Oh no you don't ! Don't be disparaging F.E.M.A. !!!

That is the one agency which was *on the ball* on 9-11.
As a matter of fact they set up operations on one of the piers in New York city the night before 9-11 in preparation for this disaster.

Blues,
Cliff

Soooooo.... let's see where you got this info from. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The EBS is used all the time for weather related emergencies; however, we have to be VERY selective when it is used for non-weather related events. FEMA and the powers that be probably knew that if a a nationwide emergency was declared using EBS it would cause more damage than harm!

What is said:
EBS: The nation is under attack, tune in to your local news to see the attacks. Stay in your homes, don't leave, you children will remain at school until an "all clear" is given.....

What really happens is people go crazy! Traffic is a mess with people picking up their kids from school, noone stops for traffic lights cause we're "under attack". People don't listen to authority (i.e. the police). Let's face it, stay in your home actually means go ape shit and stock up on supplies, get your kids from school , more ammo, where's my fucking gun?!!!!

By the time what happened was assesed, after the oh shit factor died down a bit, it was clear that the EBS would not be needed.

I can't see what your EBS system could have brought to the situation that wasn't already being covered off by the wall-to-wall coverage that the TV and Radio networks were already pumping out. They were on the ball that day and shared information and govt agency output as quickly as it became available, not just across the USA but across the world. It would just have been a waste of resource and would probably have been ignored by whacko conspiracy theorists because it would be carrying the official government message anyway. Save EBS for more localised issues like hurricane and tornado warnings instead.

The EBS is used all the time for weather related emergencies; however, we have to be VERY selective when it is used for non-weather related events. FEMA and the powers that be probably knew that if a a nationwide emergency was declared using EBS it would cause more damage than harm!

What is said:
EBS: The nation is under attack, tune in to your local news to see the attacks. Stay in your homes, don't leave, you children will remain at school until an "all clear" is given.....

What really happens is people go crazy! Traffic is a mess with people picking up their kids from school, noone stops for traffic lights cause we're "under attack". People don't listen to authority (i.e. the police). Let's face it, stay in your home actually means go ape shit and stock up on supplies, get your kids from school , more ammo, where's my fucking gun?!!!!

By the time what happened was assesed, after the oh shit factor died down a bit, it was clear that the EBS would not be needed.

So you're saying that the EBS is really only for weather alerts?

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

No, I'm saying that we have to be really selective in what we use it for. As another poster stated, everything was already being covered by pretty much every radio and TV nerwork.

There was no nationwide emergency that required any action from everyone in the U.S. There was no need to have everyone stay in there homes or shelter up in the neighbors barn. If there's ever a fleet of enemy aircraft and ships heading towards our shores, then by all means use EBS (yeah I know that's extreme, but you get the point).

First off, you're asking us why it was not used. But you never mentioned why it should have been used in the first place.

So, why should the Emergency Broadcasting Sytem have been used on 9/11/2001? What instructions should have been given?

What is said:

So you're saying that the EBS is really only for weather alerts?

Blues,
Cliff

Not at all. You could have used EBS in NY/NJ, DC and Virginia that day as they had the disaster on their doorstep, but I can not see any value in it being used anywhere else, in fact it would just have risked spreading uncontrolled panic.

Now I don't know if you are familiar with the emergency broadcasting system.

It hasn't been called the Emergency Broadcast System for years. It is called the Emergency Alert System, and the requirements on when it is to be used are much looser than under the old EBS.

The EAS is designed to utilize technology to pinpoint broadcasts to specific areas. I have no idea if it was put to work during the 911 attacks, but if it was, it would have only been in the areas authorities believed needed it, not the whole country.

FYI, many radio stations aren't even required to broadcast the basic severe thunderstorm warning any more. The legal requirement for those stations is to simply log that they got the warning through their EAS equipment.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX