Gawain

One Opinion from WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122973275061123003.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

This guy makes some very strong points.

So many talk about failing to understand history, thus doomed to repeat it. This puts a new swing on things. President-elect Obama's "works" program is a non-starter. We don't have 30% unemployment. We have 6.5% (+/-)...that does not justify hundreds-of-billions more in borrowed money to be spent.

Think hard about this: government over-regulation has never produced a positive economic result that I can see --

Telecom: Federal regulations being loosened allowed for far more competition, new companies, new products. Were there casualties? Yep. Is the industry suffering? The equipment manufacturers are leaner now, the carriers (save Sprint) are doing quite well.

Airlines: Despite their bumps over the past 8 years, they have flourished since the deregulation.

Automotive: Growing despite increased government regulation on standards they have no business imposing without knowing the consequence. Increased regulation over the past 15 years has caused a decrease in overall fuel economy across all line-ups. Increased safety requirements, while effective, have driven costs up, increased costs for repair.

Now, I'm not advocating an absolute free-for-all in terms of regulation, but I am saying the federal government is overstepping its grounds in domestic commerce.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Airlines: Despite their bumps over the past 8 years, they have flourished since the deregulation.

Sure!

Yeah, Boeing and EADS have order books stretching 15 years...the industry is in shambles...:S
Make light!

Sure!

Yeah, Boeing and EADS have order books stretching 15 years...the industry is in shambles...:S

Boeing is an airline? When did that happen?

These WERE airlines:

TWA
PanAm
Eastern
Midway
Aloha
ATA
Skybus
Maxjet
Eos
Champion

Yep, the airline business is flourishing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sure!

Boeing is an airline? When did that happen?

These WERE airlines:

TWA
PanAm
Eastern
Midway
Aloha
ATA
Skybus
Maxjet
Eos
Champion

Yep, the airline business is flourishing.

TWA was bought. PanAm is private charter now. Eastern's routes were bought....you left out Hooters ;)

The airline industry compared to 20 years, or 30 years ago when regs were lifted is doing just fine. The legacy carriers are seeing the writing on the wall to catch up with jetBlue and SW. Have you been to an airport lately? Despite higher fares and fees, in some cases fewer flights, people are still flying...even the Chapter 11 carriers...

Yep, these "sacred cows" are just fine.
Make light!

There's hardly a question that the airlines are an unhealthy business sector.

I don't fully agree with that assessment. The airlines operate on thin margins for sure, but they managed this recent spike in fuel prices, and took a bigger hit in fuel costs than did the consumer side.

Those extra fees didn't make up for the hyper increase in the cost for Jet A.
Make light!