lummy

Did McCain really say he was a federalist?

Then go on to say that he was for giving states rights? Isn't a Federalist a believer in a strong national govt and weaker states? Or is that just the classic definition of a federalist and I'm missing something?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Then go on to say that he was for giving states rights? Isn't a Federalist a believer in a strong national govt and weaker states? Or is that just the classic definition of a federalist and I'm missing something?

The in classic sense, a Federalist in the US, is one who associates with the founding traditions of the country, and the Federalist Papers which led to the ratification of the Constitution.

The US is a "Federal Republic" and that is the other connotation.

The word has different meaning in different countries or political environments though.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

in US history, Federalists such as Adams and Hamilton believed that The US should have a strong federal govt at the expense of the states rights. Democrat-Republicans such as Jefferson believed that there should be a weaker Federal govt and the States should govern theirselves.
Based on that definition, McCain is contradicting himself. I haven't heard any politician use that term in recent times so I'm wondering if the term "federalist" has been redefined
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

From Merriam-Webster:

fed·er·al·ist
Pronunciation: \-list\
Function: noun
Date: 1774
1: an advocate of federalism: a) as often capitalized : an advocate of a federal union between the American colonies after the Revolution and of the adoption of the United States Constitution b) often capitalized : world federalist

2capitalized : a member of a major political party in the early years of the United States favoring a strong centralized national government

— federalist adjective often capitalized

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.