akarunway

Mexico and guns

Gonna take a road trip w/ a motocross bike down into Mexico. Anybody know what the weapons laws are there. Can I even bring a gun in, CCW etc?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I may just be being a stupid Brit here but why would you want to take a gun on a vacation?

The world is full of animals that may want to hurt you; some with four legs (feral dogs, cougar, wild boar, bear) and some with two (clandestine meth producers and marijuanna farmers, smugglers moving drugs and people, run of the mill robbers and thieves).

Running into those animals is a lot more likely when you're riding around the back country on a motor bike and camping than hanging out in a city.

Zipping your tent won't keep them out as well as locking the hotel door.

And you can't call animal control or the police.

MEXICO

Bringing firearms into Mexico is severely restricted.

Mexico allows two sporting rifles or shotguns of an acceptable caliber and 50 rounds for each for hunting. First, a tourist permit must be obtained from the Mexican Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where the visitor resides.

Mexican immigration officials will place a firearms stamp on this permit at the point of entry.

A certificate of good conduct issued by the prospective hunter's local police department, proof of citizenship, a passport, five passport size photos, a hunting services agreement with the Mexican Secretary of Urban Development and Ecology (issued by the Mexican Forestry and Wildlife office), and a military permit (issued by the Military Post and valid for only 90 days) are all required to be in the hunter's possession while carrying the firearms.

For additional information, contact the Mexican Embassy or Consular Office.

All firearms must be declared and registered with United States Customs on form 4457 or any other registration document available for the purpose of facilitating reentry into the United States with the same firearms.

Good luck! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I may just be being a stupid Brit here but why would you want to take a gun on a vacation?

Because most parts of Mexico (outside of tourist districts and Mexico City) can be accurately described as less than safe for foreigners, and law enforcement can be notoriously corrupt/unreliable.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

In my experience, Mexico City and the tourist districts are a hell of a lot more dangerous to gringos than the rural parts of the country ... even in the state of Chiapas.
Best thing to do is take (sneak) a cheapo pistola in, and then sell it to a Mexican just before you leave the country. You'll get 3 to 5 times more than you paid for it in the US.
Just don't get caught with a pistol by the Federales. Mexican prisons aren't exactly the resort destinations you want to spend your vacation at.
Zing Lurks

Because most parts of Mexico (outside of tourist districts and Mexico City) can be accurately described as less than safe for foreigners, and law enforcement can be notoriously corrupt/unreliable.

Sounds like an ideal holiday destination...:S

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

We wouldn't want tourists bringing in unregistered guns into this country then selling them to anyone, yet you're telling the OP to do it in Mexico.>:(:S

To the OP find out the laws and know what you're getting into. You're talking about Mexico and heaven forbid something happens and you're left to deal with the cops there.

We wouldn't want tourists bringing in unregistered guns into this country then selling them to anyone, yet you're telling the OP to do it in Mexico.

Yeah, but they send us all of their illegal laborers, so, uh, that evens the score. Sort of.