Richards

Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth graders

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/05/13/faked.attack.ap/index.html

WTF? I can see that this is something that educators need to think about planning for, but staging a fake attack and screaming to sixth graders that "this is not a drill", while they scream, cry and hide under desks? :S:S

Maybe this could have been handled a wee bit diferently?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If this is true .....

You bring up a valid statement of doubt. I have been looking in the news for further info on this but have not seen any. I wonder why if this happened as the story portrays, there hasn't been more coverage.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If this is true .....

You bring up a valid statement of doubt. I have been looking in the news for further info on this but have not seen any. I wonder why if this happened as the story portrays, there hasn't been more coverage.

From the Murfreesboro local paper:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705140314

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705130327

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770512007

From the school's web site:

http://www.cityschools.net/schoolsites/se/index.html

Apparently, there was nothing 'educational' about it. It was a 'prank' intended to scare the students; an extention of telling ghost stories around the campfire at an outing to a local state park.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I've been following this story on CNN and waiting for it to show up in SC. This has to be one of the most egregious lapses of judgment in the history of elementary education. I've made some bad judgment calls and pulled a few stupid pranks in my life, so I keep thinking that if I try hard enough I might be able to get into the mindset of a teacher or a group of teachers who think a staged school/camp shooting would make for a good joke, but I'm at a complete loss. Could these teachers really not see that this was crossing a line and going beyond a friendly "campfire prank?" This is the equivalent of shouting "fire" in a crowded theater. And not only did they cause an undue panic by playing on the very real fears of a bunch of twelve-year-old kids, they've created a potential "Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario. Now there's a chance that not only the victims of this prank but other kids who hear about it might react to a warning about a real school/camp shooting by saying, "I'm not going to fall for that." I'm usually the first person to come to the defense of someone who finds himself or herself the target of a public outcry--I think most public outcries are born out of over-hyped triflings. But I strongly believe these teachers should be fired. According to the students, these teachers said, "We have a code red,"--apparently that school district's code for an armed intruder--and shouted, "This is not a drill!" I wonder how those same teachers and administrators would have reacted to a student who created a panic with a bogus threat.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Maybe you like this better

copsinstead

That's pretty fucked up.

The thing about Alex Jones is that he actually brings to light some interesting issues, if you can wade through the conspiracy theorist muck with which he surounds his reports.

The young generation is more than happy to "defy authority" when it comes to rules about smoking, drinking, trespassing, etc., but how many will stand up to authority when it really matters?
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Un-freakin-believable idiots.

Well said. I could add more, but why?

Well, because I'm a windy dude who likes to spew.

Heard it on the radio and the early reports were that the school was trying to spin this about 6 different ways. They so badly fucked up about as big time as a person can (other than outright assaulting their students) and refuse, despite evidence and the obviousness of their stupidity, to just admit their mistake.

I wonder how long they'll keep trying to spin it before someone takes responsibility and just says they made a huge mistake and that they are sorry?

BTW, anybody else make the correct call on the location before knowing where it happened. Kinda like the baby-down-the-well stories; you just knew this was coming from south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

WTF? I can see that this is something that educators need to think about planning for, but staging a fake attack and screaming to sixth graders that "this is not a drill", while they scream, cry and hide under desks? :S:S

Oh horseshit!!!! (old fart rant here) Back in the 50s in elementary school, we were subject to atomic bomb attack drills, some in which we were actually told that enemy bombers were already enroute to vaporize us. All the school staff acted like we were all about to die and the only chance we had was to "duck and cover". Yep, there was the expected "crying for mommy" stuff but it did make us aware of what could happen and what, if anything, we could do to protect ourselvs.

Guess what, we all lived over it.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Curious about where you grew up. They actually told you it was not a drill? We never had that - and were never led to believe we were about to die (which is what you are doing if you tell kids the bombers are on the way and it is real).

To actually have someone made up as the bad guy pretending to try to get in the room; in light of the recent killings! These people wouldn't know good judgement if it bit them in the ass. They shouldn't be allowed near kids or a school ever again. Shouldn't be allowed to even use the words child, education, or judgement; or any words that rhyme with them.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Oh horseshit!!!! (old fart rant here) Back in the 50s in elementary school, we were subject to atomic bomb attack drills, some in which we were actually told that enemy bombers were already enroute to vaporize us. All the school staff acted like we were all about to die and the only chance we had was to "duck and cover". Yep, there was the expected "crying for mommy" stuff but it did make us aware of what could happen and what, if anything, we could do to protect ourselvs.

Yeah - it sounds like these new drill are about as effecting as 'duck and cover'.

And these new drills were not designed to help the kids - they were to train the cops.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Curious about where you grew up. They actually told you it was not a drill? We never had that - and were never led to believe we were about to die (which is what you are doing if you tell kids the bombers are on the way and it is real).

Why Dallas of course. Home to Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby and other assorted nutcases including the Dallas Independent School District Superintendent in the mid 50s.:S:D Anyway, we came out of it without any PTSD or anything like that, no lawsuits were filed and as far as I remember, most all our parents thought it was a great idea.:o A strange decade the 50s[:/]
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Yeah - it sounds like these new drill are about as effecting as 'duck and cover'.

Actually, despite becoming fodder for comedians in the last twenty years, "Duck and Cover" is a good technique based on extensive research. Most people who make fun of it are completely ignorant of its intent and the research behind it.

Why Dallas of course. Home to Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby and other assorted nutcases including the Dallas Independent School District Superintendent in the mid 50s.:S:D Anyway, we came out of it without any PTSD or anything like that, no lawsuits were filed and as far as I remember, most all our parents thought it was a great idea.:o A strange decade the 50s[:/]

Like every threat, the Cold War had its share of fanatics who thought the best way to prepare was extremist fear mongering. I don't think we should aim to repeat the same patterns with future generations.

Actually, despite becoming fodder for comedians in the last twenty years, "Duck and Cover" is a good technique based on extensive research. Most people who make fun of it are completely ignorant of its intent and the research behind it.

OK, I'll bite....

Just how does duck and cover help you stop from being vaporized? I can understand that it might help protect you from flying glass/debris, but if you are anywhere near the explosion, duck and cover will not do shit. Everything I have ever read and seen on the subject says that it was bullshit perpetrated by the government to make people feel less helpless, and promote the 'Red Scare' of the times.

If you have links to research that shows that duck and cover works in a thermonuclear attack, send them. Otherwise I'm calling bullshit on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_cover#Assessment

...If you have links to research that shows that duck and cover works in a thermonuclear attack, send them. Otherwise I'm calling bullshit on this one.

I lived just a couple of miles from a major target. Even we sixth-graders knew we were gonna be toast.

:D:D:D
It's kinda like the old belly reserves when they told you in training to "...throw in the direction of spin. If that doesn't work, reel it in and throw it in the other direction."

Gives you something to do while you wait for the end.

True story:
Basic Training, 1969, Ft. Benning, GA.
Nuclear Warfare training:
Sr. Drill Sgt. giving the class to 250 draftees in the company. His directions:

- Face away from the blast
- Bend over and grab your ankles with your head between your legs
- Now kiss your sweet ass goodbye.

Yes, we ALL fell for it.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

OK, I'll bite....

Just how does duck and cover help you stop from being vaporized? I can understand that it might help protect you from flying glass/debris, but if you are anywhere near the explosion, duck and cover will not do shit. Everything I have ever read and seen on the subject says that it was bullshit perpetrated by the government to make people feel less helpless, and promote the 'Red Scare' of the times.

If you have links to research that shows that duck and cover works in a thermonuclear attack, send them. Otherwise I'm calling bullshit on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_cover#Assessment

Though this might be a tough concept for someone in the Internet age to grasp, not having a link to a Wikipedia article or a YouTube video doesn't necessarily discredit a person's position.

The vaporizing effect of a nuclear weapon has a radius that ranges from only a few hundred yards to only a few miles, depending on its yield. Beyond that, the two immediate dangers are flash burns and damage from the resulting overpressure. The severity of the thermal effect (flash burns) is determined by the amount of haze--moisture or pollution--in the air and is limited by line-of-sight, meaning people shielded by solid objects (i.e., standing behind a building) won't be burned by the initial flash. People caught in the overpressure zones experience two surges of what basically amount to hurricane force winds. Do you know what preparedness experts still tell people to do if they're caught on an open road during a tornado? They tell them to get out of their cars, lie flat in the bar ditch, and cover their heads. "Duck and cover" protects your vital areas from flying and falling debris and makes you less likely--due to a more aerodynamic body position--to be tossed about by the high winds.

"Duck and cover" was based on studies of who did and didn't survive the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It was found that some people very close to ground zero were lucky enough to survive, simply because of where they were standing. It was also determined that many, many people were killed by falling and flying debris, rather than the massive fireball, thermal effect, radiation, or any of the other dangers usually associated with a nuclear blast. The government also did studies on blasts conducted in the Nevada desert and the Bikini Islands. They placed furnished houses, cars, electric and gas utility stations, mannequins, and even live farm animals inside the blast zones and studied the effect to determine what might improve a person's chances of surviving a nuclear blast. In one test they even stationed U.S. troops in trenches within the overpressure radius. These studies were done by the same generation of scientists who split the atom and sent men into space with less computing power than you'll find in a scientific calculator. These scientists weren't idiots, and they didn't make idiotic recommendations.

I don't believe the government ever claimed "Duck and Cover" would save EVERYBODY from a nuclear attack, and I don't believe they ever claimed it would save people at ground zero, but the scientific evidence does suggest that it would save people, if widely utilized. If you want to mock our government for its ineptness, I suggest you start somewhere other than "Duck and Cover." In fact, I'd suggest you start with the fact that the U.S. government completely abandoned its conventional civil preparedness/defense program in the 1970's.

Here's an simpler way to put the same thing: People really close to the blast will die whether they D&C or not. People far away will survive whether they D&C or not.

But in between there is a zone where that extra bit of protection might be important. Lay people are probably in no position to have an opinion about whether that zone is large or small.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

OK, I'll bite....

Just how does duck and cover help you stop from being vaporized?

You know, even as a 5th and 6th Grader I wondered what the purpose of that was. Some of us thought that if the warheads were really on the way, why not have a few minutes of wild fun before getting vaporized?

Here's an simpler way to put the same thing: People really close to the blast will die whether they D&C or not. People far away will survive whether they D&C or not.

But in between there is a zone where that extra bit of protection might be important. Lay people are probably in no position to have an opinion about whether that zone is large or small.

Well put.

Yeah, whatever.

It's hard to respond to an intelligent rebuttal like that. :P

It was as intelligent as suggesting 'duck and cover' is a viable way to save kids in a nuclear war.

So I guess we're even.