NSEMN8R

FDA Attacks Complementary & Alternative Healthcare

I keep getting these emails.
Is there anything to this or is it bullshit?

FDA Attacks Complementary & Alternative Healthcare
by John F. Gilbert, Ph.D. - President/NTCB

Dear ___________,

I just spent three days reading, re-reading, researching and discussing the proposed FDA guidelines for "Complementary and Alternative Medicine" with two FDA attorneys. You can download a copy of this proposal for yourself at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/06d0480/06d0480.htm.

When I first heard about this FDA attack on complementary and alternative health care, I considered it another "Chicken Little" rumor. On further study, I'm appalled at the speed with which the pharmaceutical companies are implementing Codex Alimentarius in the USA. If you don't suspect the pharmaceutical companies control the FDA, you may want to research that further by visiting http://www.HealthFreedomUSA.org.

This insidious proposal is designed to redefine every complementary and alternative health care modality and product as "medicine." This has direct implications on the services and products provided by every alternative health care professional. There is no facet of complementary and alternative health care that is not affected. If the FDA adopts this proposal, all natural health care would be illegal even for medical doctors.

Essential oils, herbs, herbal remedies, homeopathic remedies, minerals, nutritional supplements, plant enzymes and vitamins are redefined in this proposal as "medicine." Very simply, medicine is under the jurisdiction of the FDA and, by law, only licensed medical doctors may prescribe "medicines." Anybody else who advises, advocates, counsels, distributes, markets, recommends or suggests anybody use "medicine" is practicing medicine without a license. This is a felony in the USA punishable by fines and incarceration.

Aromatherapy, auricular therapy, biofeedback, color therapy, homeopathy, hypnotism, naturopathy, neurotherapy, nutritional consulting, reflexology, sound therapy and wellness consulting are among the alternative health modalities being redefined as "Alternative Medicine." This subtle change of vocabulary from "alternative health care" to "alternative medicine" makes all of these industries subject to control by the FDA as medicine. Only medical doctors would be allowed to provide, prescribe and supervise the delivery of these services. Anybody else who provided any of these services would be practicing medicine without a license and subject to incarceration and fines.

That's the bad news. The good news is we have until April 30, 2007 to voice our opinion against this proposal to eliminate complementary and alternative health care in America. Almost 100,000 people have already filed their objection. According to Dr. Rima Laibow, medical director of the Natural Therapies Foundation, we need 50 times that many people to respond by the end of the month.

Please stand up and be counted. Go to http://tinyurl.com/2u7ghc and file your petition in support of natural health care, in support of complementary and alternative health care as we know it today. If you require more information, please visit http://www.HealthFreedomUSA.org or read the FDA proposed policy.

I've not seen or heard anything about this at all. While I think there are some dangers to a lot of "natural" and "alternative" medicines, I don't think it needs FDA regulation or redefinition as "medicine." People can make choices. If ya' want to use Ginseng and feel more comfortable with a person with some knowledge of herbal supplements (but very little of human physiology, biochemistry, pathology and the like), then go for it. It's your health.

Realistically, I think such regulation would be next to impossible. Where in the world could lines be drawn. What about massage, for instance. What about protein supplements recommended by a trainer? I'm betting that this is a huge exaggeration or simply a group trying to kindle their fire....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

This is probably chicken little stuff. . .

Since the early 90's Alternative medicine has taken an increase in popularity. Also, a lot of foreign alternative medicine has found its way here. What the Proposal is trying to do is get the FDA to review all the Alternative Medicines and see which area they should fall into: Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic act under CAM(complimentary and Alternative Medicine) or PHS (Public Health Service) act.
From there, depending on which Act the product falls into, they will be scrutinized accordingly. Which means, as usual, if a product can harm someone, it's going to be regulated. If not, whether it's fluff or has real healing power, it'll have free reign.

The Proposal

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln