D22369

WTF ?? it was his own child.....

You could look at it that way, that is a valid point.
Do you think there is a difference between people saying what feel he deserves and people saying what they feel his sentence should be? (Assuming a guilty verdict, of course) This isn't a smart ass question, so please don't construe it as such. I feel there is a difference.

Edit for spelling.

Do you think there is a difference between people saying what feel he deserves and people saying what they feel his sentence should be?

There probably is a difference, but I'd spell it out as the difference between dispassionately considering the matter and getting your blood up.

Saying calmly (though perhaps with intense conviction) that a crime is horrible and requires a response to satisfy a specific societal goal is probably healthy.

On the other hand, competing to graphically describe increasingly extreme sadism is probably feeding an unhealthy inner urge. While I don't dispute their basic point that people should be discouraged from doing bad things, I wouldn't want them as friends. They're almost scarier than the criminals.

There's been a lot of the latter sort of threads here recently.

edited to clarify a point

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Do you think there is a difference between people saying what feel he deserves and people saying what they feel his sentence should be?

There probably is a difference, but I'd spell it out as the difference between dispassionately considering the matter and getting your blood up.

Saying calmly (though perhaps with intense conviction) that a crime is horrible and requires a response to satisfy a specific societal goal is probably healthy.

On the other hand, competing to graphically describe increasingly extreme sadism is probably feeding an unhealthy inner urge. While I don't dispute their basic point that people should be discouraged from doing bad things, I wouldn't want them as friends. They're almost scarier than the criminals.

Who says they would want you as a friend?

Also isn't it nice that you sit in judgement of others?

I bet you feel very superior to most anyone, it is a good thing you don't have any flaws at all.:S

If I understand your post correctly then I agree with you. Stating what you feel the punishment should be is one thing, but to get involved in a game of one-upmanship to see who can devise the worst execution is not healthy. I will have to admit that I contributed to that on occasion.