happythoughts

old economic indicators

Does the Dow-Jones stock average really matter?

It is the value of certain stocks. That value is not necessarily related to the health of the LOCAL economy.

I read somewhere that 94% of the textile industry has left the US. The stock of these companies does well, but the economy of the regions is in ruin.

Chrysler is importing sub-compact cars from China.
If they totally outsourced all car building to China, their stock price would rise.

How many stereo systems or TVs are built in the US ?
What is the stock price of Nike?

It has a strong predictive quality for the US economy, something like 3-6 months worth of prediction iirc. But it fluctuates a lot, there's a lot of noise in the reading so it's pointless to get worked up about day-to-day changes.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Yes.

It is the value of certain stocks. That value is not necessarily related to the health of the LOCAL economy.

Yes and no. Large companies have operations dispersed all over the country and that does have a direct affect on the local economy.

I read somewhere that 94% of the textile industry has left the US. The stock of these companies does well, but the economy of the regions is in ruin.

As most textile businesses were located in the Southeast US, I suggest you look around these areas. The local economies in many "former" depressed areas have been able to adapt. Of course this isn't universal, but the plain fact is, any of these communities that saw it coming were able to prepare to a certain extent.

If they totally outsourced all car building to China, their stock price would rise.

Which cars are these, and where are they selling them?

How many stereo systems or TVs are built in the US?

Don't know, but Olevia builds all their HDTVs in Southern California. More of an exception than the rule, but that's been the case since we saw all the electronics getting made in Japan. Either way, the chip-sets that matter are made here.

At the close of business today, $98.67, up $1.00 (1.02%).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I work in finance and we rarely if ever look at the Dow. It's only thirty securities and does not really indicate anything. The only reason it is well know is the marketing from Dow Jones. If you want an overall look at the health of an economy or the market look at a much broader index, e.g., Dow Jones Wilshire 5000. The only companies excluded frm this index are pink sheets. Also take a look at the MSCI indices.

How many stereo systems or TVs are built in the US ?

The DJIA is an antique relic. As well as representing only 30 stocks, it ignores the differing market caps. The S&P500 or Wilshire 5000 are much more relevant.

http://www.streetauthority.com/terms/index/dowjones.asp
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's because it's a national indicator. :S

What percentage of the Dow is made up of overseas textiles?

Really? How many cars did Chrysler import from China in 2006?

There are a number of good reasons to discount the importance of the DJIA. However, you didn't really address any of them. ;)

If they totally outsourced all car building to China, their stock price would rise

Was chrysler bought by an american company again? They and Dodge were bought out by Daimler. . .or merged in Germany.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln