Richards

Calgary passes Bad Behaviour law

Maybe they wouldn't have to learn to deal with it, or pass a law against it, if people would learn to act like human beings and not animals.

If it could hit them in the pocket book, it might make some people think twice about acting like a complete jackass in public.

Precisely

Good luck, Calgary. The problems you see seem to migrate north to us.

It is always easier to deal with a problem in it's infancy.

Richards

We certainly have our own share of problems.

The Canada Day Riot, which happened on a weekend that Mahoney was up to visit. If you know Mahoney, having him say that we have a bunch of idiots that have no respect for anything fucking up your neighbourhood says a lot. ;)

Then there was the recent near-riots, raging fires, fights and vandalism along Whyte Avenue during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. THAT was fun. :( And most of those arrested were, of course, NOT from the area. In fact, a lot of them weren't even from the City.

I don't know if it's the influx of people coming to Alberta for work or if it's just a bunch of idiots that don't even live in the area thinking it's okay to "piss in someone else's backyard". I used to live in that area and about 8 years ago, it was a nice, quiet place. Lot's of little cafes and restaurants to visit. Some cool, unique shops. I moved about 3 years ago when the noise from the partiers became too much to deal with. Since then it's gotten much worse.

I wonder how these people would like it if I went to THEIR neighbourhood and took a shit in THEIR yard. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like it.

'Shell
'Shell

We certainly have our own share of problems.

The Canada Day Riot, which happened on a weekend that Mahoney was up to visit. If you know Mahoney, having him say that we have a bunch of idiots that have no respect for anything fucking up your neighbourhood says a lot. ;)

Then there was the recent near-riots, raging fires, fights and vandalism along Whyte Avenue during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. THAT was fun. :( And most of those arrested were, of course, NOT from the area. In fact, a lot of them weren't even from the City.

I don't know if it's the influx of people coming to Alberta for work or if it's just a bunch of idiots that don't even live in the area thinking it's okay to "piss in someone else's backyard". I used to live in that area and about 8 years ago, it was a nice, quiet place. Lot's of little cafes and restaurants to visit. Some cool, unique shops. I moved about 3 years ago when the noise from the partiers became too much to deal with. Since then it's gotten much worse.

I wonder how these people would like it if I went to THEIR neighbourhood and took a shit in THEIR yard. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like it.

Either the city does something about it now before that culture becomes entrenched or it will lose the opportunity for good. Cities do not have to turn to shit just because of growth. Like any bad behaviour the more it is tolerated the worse it will get and the harder it will be to get rid of. If the majority stand up and loudly say NO while the trouble causers are still small in number, they can nip that problem in the bud and send the dirtbags packing. It will not be eliminated but it will certainly grow at a much slower rate.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Either the city does something about it now before that culture becomes entrenched or it will lose the opportunity for good. Cities do not have to turn to shit just because of growth. Like any bad behaviour the more it is tolerated the worse it will get and the harder it will be to get rid of. If the majority stand up and loudly say NO while the trouble causers are still small in number, they can nip that problem in the bud and send the dirtbags packing. It will not be eliminated but it will certainly grow at a much slower rate.

Richards

Trust me, both the city, the Old Strathcona Business Association and the police tried to do something about it. The problem with Whyte Ave is that there is a large number of people gathering in a small area. Mob mentality rules in that atmosphere. The playoffs should have been a time of celebration here but they turned into a near riot instead.

It's unfortunate that the people that lost the most were the small businesses along the Ave. Vandalism, theft, lost business. The only people that dared venture out that way during a televised game were the people in the bars. While most of them just wanted to watch the game and enjoy themselves, there were others that just wanted to "rip it up". And after the game, MORE morons just went down to party. It degenerated from there.

Despite the police presence, people still thought it was acceptable to climb on lamp posts, throw beer bottles, break windows on store fronts and pee in the streets. When you have 1000's of people in a two to three block area, it's hard to control. The Ave was shut down to vehicle traffic most game nights (and it's a major thorough fare through the south side and onto the UofA campus).

Numerous arrests were made each and every night with some of these apparently "upstanding citizens" actually trying to sue the police for false arrests. If you're not doing anything wrong, chances are you won't get arrested.

Ah, big city living. Guess I'll have to get used to it - and I've lived here all my life.

'Shell
'Shell

It's getting worse in both Calgary and Edmonton (and many other cities in this hemisphere). Calgary passes the bad behaviour law so that maybe the cops and bylaw officers can have some teeth on the streets. More and more people just don't seem to have any personal accountability. And we let them get away with it. A woman in my condo building recently said that the reefer smell wafting into her home from the neighbours was bothering her, but she feared repercussions if she complained! This is in a 'good' neighbourhood with professional people in the building. And she's scared, because people can be real assholes and don't give a shit about others, just themselves.

The time 'Shell is referring to included the arrest of a woman, one of dozens that night, who was wearing a t-shirt with "the only way to behave is NOT to" written on it.

:S

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Just to clarify, there were dozens of arrests that night. There was only one woman that night with a humorous t-shirt that read "the only way to behave is NOT to". She had her face slammed into the pavement by the police. Note they did not use excessive force (155 lb man vs. handcuffed 135 lb female).

Just to clarify, there were dozens of arrests that night. There was only one woman that night with a humorous t-shirt that read "the only way to behave is NOT to". She had her face slammed into the pavement by the police. Note they did not use excessive force (155 lb man vs. handcuffed 135 lb female).

Right. Thanks, the wording could be misleading.There was only the one woman with the t-shirt. And along with everyone else down there she knew that the police weren't putting up with much. Warnings were issued in the newspapers, daily.

Being that I lived one block from there I got to witness most of what went on. I mentioned the one woman just to illustrate the attitude that was prevalent in the area. Her arrest and everything along with it was big news for awhile, as you know.

But people were burning shopping carts and road signs in the middle of the intersection! Not reasonable at all, just because we won some hockey games. (And so you know I'm not just a fascist, I'm one of the biggest Oiler fans. I just don't think it excuses the bad behaviour.)

To keep with the Calgary bylaw changes, I think it's great, and cities like Edmonton should follow. It's not so that every violation becomes a newspaper headline. It's so that the officers on the street can actually enforce. When you think about it, there are already laws against speeding, but there are tolerances and judgment involved. The same will go for this.

It's disgusting to have to step through large gobs of spit, urine and feces (yep! have done that as well) just to make it to a local restaurant. And god forbid you should happen to make eye contact with some St. Albert punk who should have been cut off four hours earlier. B|

[:/]

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Right. Thanks, the wording could be misleading.There was only the one woman with the t-shirt. And along with everyone else down there she knew that the police weren't putting up with much. Warnings were issued in the newspapers, daily.

Exactly. The police said they would arrest people if they were partying in the streets. And they did. And for those that weren't partying and listened when the police asked them to leave the area weren't arrested. The only people that seemed to gravitate to the streets when the games were over were the idiots and they deserved what they got. I have no sympathy for them.

Hopefully Edmonton follows suit with Calgary and institutes the same bylaw. Might keep the idiots in check.

Oh, here's a BIGGER Oilers fan for you!

;):P
'Shell

@ Richard
"It's not targeting the homeless, it's targeting anyone who behaves in this way."
"I am not homeless, I only behave that way HA!"
So if one behaves in this way it's ok to penalize them with a fine which they wouldn't have the money for in the first place. Is that not the shit to fine beggars for begging and they have to beg more to pay the fine? Wow! A vicious circle creating a problem that did not exist for profit if one assumes that these "homeless" have an income that would afford such a luxury as extra money.
I really hope that you are sensitive enough to hang out with the homeless for a bit and then post about this again. I actually dare you. Are you sooooo set up in your preppie pastels?
take care,
spacehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzO1mCAVyMw

@ Richard
"It's not targeting the homeless, it's targeting anyone who behaves in this way."
"I am not homeless, I only behave that way HA!"
So if one behaves in this way it's ok to penalize them with a fine which they wouldn't have the money for in the first place. Is that not the shit to fine beggars for begging and they have to beg more to pay the fine? Wow! A vicious circle creating a problem that did not exist for profit if one assumes that these "homeless" have an income that would afford such a luxury as extra money.
I really hope that you are sensitive enough to hang out with the homeless for a bit and then post about this again. I actually dare you. Are you sooooo set up in your preppie pastels?
take care,
spacehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzO1mCAVyMw

Sigh! If you read the article you will see that it does not mention begging anywhere. The law was aimed at party goers and thugs who get drunk and think that it is OK to go on a destructive rampage. Stop trying to twist this into an issue that clearly is not being addressed here.

No-one is going after the homeless people.

Incedentally, how will hanging out with homeless people give me a better perspective on party goers (many of whom still live with thier parents) who get drunk, vandalize and start fights?

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Stop denying what was printed in your link. I used the begging as an example.

"The law was aimed at party goers and thugs "
So where the hell do the "Homeless" get involved in this discussion? Via your post maybe?
take care,
space

Stop denying what was printed in your link. I used the begging as an example.

Can you please clarify what it is in my link that I am denying and where I denied it. I came here to discuss a controversial law and you are trying to turn it into a fight.

"The law was aimed at party goers and thugs "
So where the hell do the "Homeless" get involved in this discussion? Via your post maybe?
take care,
space

I have no clue what you are getting at and I don't care. I do not come to SC to engage in infantile chest poking matches with people who have nothing better to do with thier time than use this forum as a safe place to beat on thier chest and start fights. If you wish to tone down the juvenile attacks and engage in an intelligent conversation then please continue but if you are looking for attention via online fights then bother someone else.

I am sure there are more of your kind on this forum who will be thrilled to play your game with you.

Richards

I hope this refreshes your memory. I am not a chest thumper. You asked for an opinion and I gave you one.
If there are parts of your post that you don't want to discuss then don't post that part. I take issue with the above quote from your post.

Take care,
space

I hope this refreshes your memory. I am not a chest thumper. You asked for an opinion and I gave you one.
If there are parts of your post that you don't want to discuss then don't post that part. I take issue with the above quote from your post.

Take care,
space

I am not following? What is upsetting you? Why do you take issue. You seem to be quite angry with something either I or the article has said but I am not sure which. If there is something in that sentence that is relevant to the thread then I am happy to discuss it. I certainly never denied anything. I simply have a hard time seeing how this law is being perceived as an attack on the homeless.

Before we proceed with any further discusion perhaps some clarification as to what point you are trying to make (or what point of mine you wish to debate). I am willing to answer for anything I have posted here but I was somewhat perplexed by your comentary.

Please clarify,

Richards

I just can't seem to convey what I had an issue with in your post. Even though I quoted exactly the part of the post I had issues with. Am I so stupid that to think that if I quote your post you have no clue on what I am posting about and its my fault your not following me?
Do you need a sign like this? ""It's not targeting the homeless, it's targeting anyone who behaves in this way."" Shall I write it in capital letters? Which part of this phrase do you not understand? Once again, I will repeat the phrase that I haver issues with.
If you don't understand this post then, I wish you a good day.
I can't be anymore clear.
take care,
space

I just can't seem to convey what I had an issue with in your post. Even though I quoted exactly the part of the post I had issues with. Am I so stupid that to think that if I quote your post you have no clue on what I am posting about and its my fault your not following me?
Do you need a sign like this? ""It's not targeting the homeless, it's targeting anyone who behaves in this way."" Shall I write it in capital letters? Which part of this phrase do you not understand? Once again, I will repeat the phrase that I haver issues with.
If you don't understand this post then, I wish you a good day.
I can't be anymore clear.
take care,
space

I got that that was the quote that pissed you off but what about it bugged you so much. Why are you so pissed off about it? WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

I have yet to understand what you are getting so worked up about. I think you are upse that the law will target homeless yet the quote that seems to be driving you into a rage is the very phrase that states that it is not about the homeless.

You have now conveyed what phrase is driving you into a rage. The next step might be to explain why.

Take a deep breath and count to ten before responding to this or you will give yourself a heart attack.

Richards