flyinghonu

Would you sue?

LOL!

So, all of the "she needs a dose of STFU" folks, you still on the bandwagon?

from the article: "We were trying to be respectful by not interrupting," Wood said. "Sara started crying because she knew that she had the word right. Her teacher was saying, "Hey, this (judges' decision) is not right." Cindy is saying, "Hey this is not right." We rushed down to check a dictionary and came right back to let them know, and they still would not change it."
"The analogy that I would give, in the NFL, if the coach is going to throw a challenge flag, they have got to do it before the next play begins," Mulvenon said. "Once you go beyond that point, you can't go back."

so here's a question then, using their analogy (school district/board/wuteva)...the nfl coaches have "upstairs offices" people reviewing tape and plays in a blow-by-blow fashion. they are typically the ones advising the coach on what the correct call would be...who has that role for the spelling bee, on behalf of the parents? seems like they went to verify, as quickly as possible, that the word was spelled correctly, and came back to protest. seems rather timely to me...you can't expect them to react as quickly as an nfl coach to abide by the rules, if they don't have the same resources...

Now that there was scholarship money at stake, we've actualy got some real damages.

My opinion on this is changing. For every wrong there should be a remedy. She was wronged.

So now the question is, what would be the appropriate remedy?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

IF the student and the teacher stated after the verdict that the word WAS spelled right then yes she was wronged. If it was done after the bee then there is no wrong.

As far as how would it be fixed? It wouldnt be fair to start over, as the first and second place students earned their spots according to how it was played out. I really have no clue what I would want. Personally I wouldnt sue. People get wronged all the time and never sue. Sometimes it is better to just grin and bear it then to create the drama that can happen.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Now that there was scholarship money at stake, we've actualy got some real damages.

My opinion on this is changing. For every wrong there should be a remedy. She was wronged.

So now the question is, what would be the appropriate remedy?

I was just going to post the same thing. Now, I don't see in the article rl posted where it talks about scholarship money, but maybe I missed it. If this was just about a little glory, I'd tell the parents to leave well enough alone. But if there was serious scholarship money at stake, then yes, there are actual damages and that makes it actionable.

Edit: one more thing, there may be a legitimate preliminary issue over whether the protest was timely under the rules.

Now, I don't see in the article rl posted where it talks about scholarship money, but maybe I missed it.

Sorry.

I googled and read about...I dunno...it felt like fifty but was probably only fifteen articles about this topic. The bit about the possible scholarship money was in one of the articles that I didn't post, but this article was the most complete of all of them.

Apparently, because she placed third, she can't go to the state tournament, which means that she won't have a chance at the scholarship money. And for some reason, this is the last year she's allowed to compete.

I'm a little fuzzy today. Sorry.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Maybe it would be proper to give her a slot in the championship even though she didnt technicually qualify? I dont know, I still think sueing is out of line. I also think the judges are as well by not finding a way to show this girl that people right their wrongs and take accountibility for them.

State tournament and scholarship money:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=333&sid=161143

Last year:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060208/NEWS10/602080350/1016/NEWS

You guys are killing me.

All the articles:

http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-51%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=%22Sara+Beckman%22&filter=0

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Maybe it would be proper to give her a slot in the championship even though she didnt technicually qualify? I dont know, I still think sueing is out of line. I also think the judges are as well by not finding a way to show this girl that people right their wrongs and take accountibility for them.

emphasis mine...and i totally agree...which is why i really have no problem with the lawsuit. teach the child a valuable lesson - people are held accountable for their actions, both positive and negative. in this instance the parents could easily highlight the fact the lawsuit is a way to bring the issue in front of an unbiased 3rd party to examine adequate remedies. just don't forget to leave out the lesson that teaches the kid that "the law" costs money, and schools are poor. therein, of course, lies the negative.

if i was the school board, i'd be falling all over myself trying to settle. then i'd spend some time reviewing the rules (found here http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/NEWS/60208002/1016/NEWS, look at points 14-16) and figuring out a way to change the appeal process to actually allow for a timely appeal (imho, their rules are far too constricting on appeals, especially since the tournament has money/scholarship/accolades attached to it)

but, and here's the honesty in me: teach the kid the REAL life lesson...it sucks out in the real world, you are subject to the idiocy of others, and many things that you wish were in your control are not. life is hard, unfair, and basically a series of dissapointments and successes, one right after the other.

Would I sue? Hell no, there was a set time frame in which to protest the judge's ruling and that time had expired before they complained. By the parents suing the school district it teaches the child that if at first you don't succeed, litigate and waste time and money on something foolish. Instead they should sit down with the child and explain that sometimes you can be right and still fail. Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch over a spelling bee....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

By the parents suing the school district it teaches the child that if at first you don't succeed, litigate

Uh, what's your point?;)

Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch over a spelling bee....

Quite true. Now, I might get in a bunch over the loss of $10K in scholarship money...hmm...

By the parents suing the school district it teaches the child that if at first you don't succeed, litigate

Uh, what's your point?;)

Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch over a spelling bee....

Quite true. Now, I might get in a bunch over the loss of $10K in scholarship money...hmm...

My point is that just because you were wronged doesn't mean you have to sue.
The loss of $10K in scholarship money? Assuming of course that the 2 children who finished ahead of her in the spelling bee made a mistake which would put her in the state competition. Assuming of course that she finished high enough in the state competition to actually win a scholarship. Yes, she lost a chance to win a scholarship but that isn't the same as actually losing the $10K. Can anyone guarantee that she would have won it?
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Can anyone guarantee that she would have won it?

There's no guarantee she would have won it, but she lost the chance because someone else made a mistake, not because she did anything wrong.

Her parents didn't protest within the timeframe allowed by the rules, but apparently she did.

How is that right?

Mistakes happen, but the apparent lesson here is that responsibility to mitigate an error does not exist.

Great lesson. :S

I agree with you, except it appears that the teacher and the student tried to protest it right away. If those two did and they were ignored then I agree she should have a chance to either win the compitition or well I wouldnt sue but now wouldnt hold it against her as being petty

well shoot, if they sue, then i am gonna get my mom involved! years ago, she was a spelling bee something or another, and a girl in her class spelled ameoba right, but they marked it as wrong... there is two spellings for this.. the spelling bee judges are going to hell for this one!!!

now, in all honestyu.. i think it is rediculous if they sue. get over it lady!!! your daughter aint that great, she didnt win in the past, what makes you think she was gonna win this time.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720