Maddingo

S-Fire vs Safire 3

Since the Safire 2 was produced by the same company I wonder what are the differences now that they have divided.

Both have launched the new beginner/intermediate canopies and I want to hear about the flight chracteristics of the new designs. There was a lot of talk about the Safire 3 but I haven't seen any posts and reports about the S-fire.

How does it stack up against the competition?

Maybe a little bit late...but...

While waiting for my safire 3 159, I lent an s-fire 169.

Both canopies felt pretty good. The openings, especially the snivel were a little bit longer on the s-fire. But both canopies had great openings. I like the openings of the safire 3 more, as they feel more fluent and I neved had a single hard opening.

The safire 3 is noticeably faster than the s-fire (which seemed a little steeper to me), while toggle turns and recovery arc are quite similar. (Propably a little bit longer on the safire 3, but that can be related to the the different sizes)

The safire 3 has less pressure on the fronts and more pressure on the rears.

With both canopies it is no problem getting back to the dz from a long spot.

Both have an exceptional flare. The s-fire flares with lesser toggle input, the safire 3 needs more input but flares even on the bottom end and gives you a stand up landing in cross and nil wind