Pendejo

For those that like to argure about the price of gas

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2005-09-21T151648Z_01_SPI153380_RTRUKOC_0_US-RITA-ENERGY-GASOLINE.xml[url]

Say it isn't so!!!!

OK..... SO I'M STILL STUPID..... Can someone help mw with the clicky please.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2005-09-21T151648Z_01_SPI153380_RTRUKOC_0_US-RITA-ENERGY-GASOLINE.xml

Say it isn't so!!!!

OK..... SO I'M STILL STUPID..... Can someone help mw with the clicky please.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

How about this one... a photo blog of high gas prices around the country, including Atlanta...

http://journals.aol.com/gaspricepics/GasPricePhotoBlog

The attorney generals could use this to help in their prosecutions of price gougers...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think its funny that there are those on here that argued with me about the number of refineries that were operating way below capacity yet it does seem to be the case.....

The one in GA is NUTS!! Over $6.00 per gallon, HOLY SHIT!!

Pendejo

I think its funny that there are those on here that argued with me about the number of refineries that were operating way below capacity yet it does seem to be the case.....

All you have to look at is the RECORD profits of oil companies to see what the deal is.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

All you have to look at is the RECORD profits of oil companies to see what the deal is.

What do you think the Oil Companies will do with those profits?

-

What do you think the Oil Companies will do with those profits?

-

Buy some books. Probably some nice Grisham novels. ;)

Seriously, the option would be to reinvest in new capital. Or research. However, the astounding profits have been around for quite some time, yet prices in gas climbs higher with little "give back" shown by the companies. As I see it, it is time for me to get some stock.

Can I blame them entirely/ No, we, as consumers, do nothing to halt them from it. We bitch and complain, but stay the course and pay their higher prices.

But if those higher prices are falsely created by artificially reducing capacity, there is a problem.

I would strongly suggest you invest in oil futures at least for the time being. Believe me it's better than complaining about it.

What I am having trouble trying to understand is that for years many Democrats including Al Gore have said openly, that we needed higher gas prices to reduce consumption and encourage exploration into alternative energy sources. Why are the same people now complaining about high gas prices? Is it that they would prefer the govt. raise gas taxes and keep the money to fund research as oppossed to it being done by private industry? Comes down to the classical argument between lefties and righties doesn't it?

-

I would strongly suggest you invest in oil futures at least for the time being. Believe me it's better than complaining about it.

What I am having trouble trying to understand is that for years many Democrats including Al Gore have said openly, that we needed higher gas prices to reduce consumption and encourage exploration into alternative energy sources. Why are the same people now complaining about high gas prices? Is it that they would prefer the govt. raise gas taxes and keep the money to fund research as oppossed to it being done by private industry? Comes down to the classical argument between lefties and righties doesn't it?

-

No, I think both are just as at fault. Even with the tax, companies are still having record profits.

So neither the government nor the gas companies are doing research very well apparently with the money they are receiving.

Are they going to prosecute the idiots who are paying for it? I suppose stupidity still isn't a crime, though.

Nah, just the ones that are stupid enough to believe that the oil companies are producing all the fuels that they are able to produce :P

Pendejo

I think the key to alternative technologies and research is likely to come from industries like automobile and HVAC manufacturers than it is from oil companies. Both of these industries stand to benefit greatly if they produce better fuel efficient product their customers want. I really can't put the onus of research on the oil companies. I think many people just see them and a focal point for all that is wrong and therefore expect them to solve all the problems caused by their product. It wasn't the gun manufacturers who developed the bulletproof vest.

-

I think the key to alternative technologies and research is likely to come from industries like automobile and HVAC manufacturers than it is from oil companies. Both of these industries stand to benefit greatly if they produce better fuel efficient product their customers want. I really can't put the onus of research on the oil companies. I think many people just see them and a focal point for all that is wrong and therefore expect them to solve all the problems caused by their product. It wasn't the gun manufacturers who developed the bulletproof vest.

-

I agree. But I was thinking of research into better ways to produce oil or using the money to build refineries. And actually, I figure most of the money from profit is not going to that anyway. Instead it is being given as salary or reinvested...in what, I have no idea.

All I know is that the high profits they keep posting belies any sort of "crisis" they would have us believe.

>Nah, just the ones that are stupid enough to believe that the oil
>companies are producing all the fuels that they are able to produce . .

Does anyone think that? Refineries don't often operate at full capacity. Which is fine - their owners can do whatever they choose. They paid for them.

-

I agree. But I was thinking of research into better ways to produce oil or using the money to build refineries. And actually, I figure most of the money from profit is not going to that anyway. Instead it is being given as salary or reinvested...in what, I have no idea.

All I know is that the high profits they keep posting belies any sort of "crisis" they would have us believe.

I don't think you can blame the oil companies for the lack of refining capabilities. That one is on the environmentalists. Same people who told us we were all going to die if we continued to build nuclear reactors. Which btw we need to build many more.

Much of Oil Co. profits go to stockholders like me who in turn purchase items which stimulate the manufacturing sector. I plan on buying a new high efficient gas furnace and A.C. this year to reduce my utility cost. Had I not made as much on my stock and other energy related investments, I might wait a few more years until my current equipment was on it's last leg.

To me, capital is liquid and it doesn't accumulate in the sense of being hoarded. It continues to flow through the economy and benefit all who understand how to direct it to their advantage.

-

Lets see the oil companies make money buy selling gas, but we want them to do the research so they can maybe find an alternative to gas.

Does any one else see the problem with this?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

> That one is on the environmentalists.

Is that your version of "blaming the hurricane on Bush?" Makes about as much sense.

>Much of Oil Co. profits go to stockholders like me who in turn purchase
> items which stimulate the manufacturing sector.

That was true of Enron shareholders for a while, as well. Stockholder profits are a poor measure of the benefits of an industry overall, although they are one part.

>The attorney generals could use this to help in their prosecutions of price gougers...

I just looked at that. One shows gas at $5.87; the gas station across the street was $3.29. Again, that sounds more like consumer stupidity than 'gouging.' Is it gouging if people have a choice to buy a lower price product, but buy yours anyway?

I don't think you can blame the oil companies for the lack of refining capabilities. That one is on the environmentalists.

Please tell me you are trying to stir it up a little and that you don't really mean that...

Pendejo

Lets see the oil companies make money buy selling gas, but we want them to do the research so they can maybe find an alternative to gas.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say or infer by quoting me, but I agree with you that we shouldn't expect the oil co. to do research to find alternative sources of energy. I thought I had made that clear.

-

No, "Oil" companies make money by providing energy. BP owns quite a few solar farms and sells solar products. Alternative does not necessarily mean loss of profit. Quite the contrary, if we are truly running out of oil, it would be in an "oil" company's best interest to find ways to keep control of the energy market.

I don't think you can blame the oil companies for the lack of refining capabilities. That one is on the environmentalists.

Please tell me you are trying to stir it up a little and that you don't really mean that...

One word: Anwar

Anwar. That is a DROP in the oil bucket.