rhino

Iraqi Sunnis Rally Against Constitution

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167314,00.html

Maybe they should have participated instead of bitching and moaning all the damned time. Iraq will move forward with or without them. However, I do not believe the new constitution will work because it's built too much around religion. The Clerics hands down, according to the new draft get veto power over laws and ammendments in the future. So they are going to have a bunch of religious fanatics saying yes or no to laws. Bad news.. The opposite of progress.

Rhino

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167314,00.html

Maybe they should have participated instead of bitching and moaning all the damned time. Iraq will move forward with or without them. However, I do not believe the new constitution will work because it's built too much around religion. The Clerics hands down, according to the new draft get veto power over laws and ammendments in the future. So they are going to have a bunch of religious fanatics saying yes or no to laws. Bad news.. The opposite of progress.

Rhino

I disagree. I think Iraq will end up with a Govt. similar to Indonesia. Democratic but not secular.

However, I do not believe the new constitution will work because it's built too much around religion. The Clerics hands down, according to the new draft get veto power over laws and ammendments in the future. So they are going to have a bunch of religious fanatics saying yes or no to laws. Bad news.. The opposite of progress.

Actually, it may be what works best for Iraq. Thinking that we could expect a Western Styled regime in Iraq was, IMO, living in denial.
Best case scenario, for us that is, would be, as GM stated, a democratic theocracy. Worst case scenario, an unfriendly regime. But then again, it should be about the Iraqis, not what's best for us. Or so we claim.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."