JohnRich

London Olympics: Gun Events Illegal

its not that we dont trust the shooters!! its the idiots that would fancy stealing these weapons!!!!

You already have safe storage requirements for the firearms you're still allowed to own, such as single-shot rifles and shotguns. Why aren't those same rules also sufficient for handguns?

Why do you restrict ownership of something based upon the fear of theft? Would you ban cars because of the problem of car theft and dangerous joy rides? The freedoms that citizens can enjoy should not be based upon the lowest common denominator - the criminals.

fear of theft

[sic] Gangs of armed men are reported to be roaming the streets after a Wal-Mart had its entire stock of weapons stolen.
"What angers me the most is that in these situations, you usually see the best from people. But here we saw also the worse,

Just think, we could legalise gun ownership in the uk, then next time there is a national disaster, we could have gangs of tooled up civilians shooting the crap out of everything...awesome.... :S
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

You crack me up.

Gangs of armed men are reported to be roaming the streets after a Wal-Mart had its entire stock of weapons stolen.

Guess what the key word is there? Not sure about the walmarts down there, but I have been to the firearm section in the various Walmarts throughout the midwest. They usually stock less than a couple of dozen guns, half of which are shotguns of varoius calibers. They other half are rifles with several being .22 calibers. Usually a Rem 700 and 710, mabey a 7400 semi if they are legal for deer in that region. Many of these guns are close to 4 feet long and they do not sell handguns.

Even if people are walking around in broad daylight with these stolen long guns, it is a far stretch to jump to "gangs of tooled up civilians shooting the crap out of everything". Hell even the media has not reported that. People walk around all the time with weapons concealed on their person. Just because someone can not hide a 28" barreled shotgun does not meen there are looking for something to shoot. Mabey it is the good guys getting the guns? I would grab one given the chance to keep it out of the wrong hands. Don't belive everything you read.

Or are you just implying that over in the UK, you all are so irresponsible that if you had guns available you would be shooting each other up? No wonder the fear of guns most of you have.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

At least the normal (non-criminal) populace would have something to defend themselves with, if it was legalized...what do they have now? Stern words?

Oh they have more than that - they can whack bad guys with their bumbershoots!

(That's a British word for an umbrella...)

Oh they have more than that - they can whack bad guys with their bumbershoots!

(That's a British word for an umbrella...)

Wrong:

"[Q] From David Sinclair: “I recently heard an American use the word bumbershoot as a humorous term for umbrella. I cannot find where and when it originated. My dictionary says it is an Americanism, but some web sites have said it was a British word for umbrella. The chute part suggests it is recent, but it frequently is associated with old folks, especially ones in the countryside. Any help?”
[A] Any suggestion of a British origin can be immediately refuted. It isn’t known over here at all. In fact, I’d never heard of it until you asked your question. It appears in the lyric of a song sung by Dick Van Dyke in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:
Me ol’ bam-boo, me ol’ bam-boo
You'd better never bother with me ol’ bam-boo
You can have me hat or me bumbershoot
But you'd better never bother with me ol’ bam-boo. The English context of the film may be why some Americans, not familiar with the word in their own country, have come to believe it must be British, though the song was actually written by two Americans, Richard M Sherman and Robert B Sherman.
It seems to have been yet another of those gloriously facetious bits of wordplay so characteristic of America in the nineteenth century. Quite how it came about is a matter of some guesswork, but it looks moderately certain that the first part derives from the beginning of umbrella, with a b put in front so that it makes the evocative and forceful first syllable bum; the second half, as you surmise, is a respelling of the final syllable of parachute, presumably because of the similar shape.
Don’t assume that any word derived from parachute must be at all recent. Perhaps surprisingly, that word dates from the early days of Montgolfier ballooning and first appeared in English in 1785. (Umbrella itself dates from the early seventeenth century, originally from an Italian word for a sunshade, with the first part traceable back to Latin umbra, shadow.)
The first example of bumbershoot in Professor Lighter’s Random House Historical Dictionary of the American Language is from 1896. There were some variations around in the early days, such as bumbersol (with sol presumably taken from parasol) and bumberell. By the first decade of the twentieth century it had settled down to bumbershoot.
This fairly rare example of the word in print comes from L Frank Baum’s book Sky Island of 1912:
“This umbrella has been in our family years, an’ years, an’ years. But it was tucked away up in our attic an’ no one ever used it ’cause it wasn’t pretty.” “Don’t blame ’em much,” remarked Cap’n Bill, gazing at it curiously. “It’s a pretty old-lookin’ bumbershoot.” These days, it’s moderately uncommon, though still to be found. It turns up most often in connection with the Seattle Arts Festival. Bumbershoot was so named, I am told, because of that great city’s notoriously wet climate."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

next time there is a national disaster, we could have gangs of tooled up civilians shooting the crap out of everything...

After the fall of Dunkirk, Britain found itself short of arms for island defense. The Home Guard had to drill with canes, umbrellas, spears, pikes, and clubs. When citizens could find a gun, it was generally a sporting shotgun - ill-suited for military use because of it's short range and bulky ammunition.

British government advertisements in U.S. newspapers and magazines asked Americans to "Send a Gun to Defend a British Home - British civilians, faced with threat of invasion, desperately need arms for the defense of their homes." The ads pleaded for "Pistols, Rifles, Revolvers, Shotguns, and Binoculars from American citizens who wish to answer the call and aid in defense of British homes."

Pro-Allied organizations in the United States collected weapons; the National Rifle Association shipped seven thousand guns to Britain, which also purchased surplus WWI Enfield rifles from America's Department Of War.

Prime Minister Winston Churchill's book "Their Finest Hour" recalls the arrival of the loads of guns. Churchill personally supervised the deliveries to ensure that they were sent on fast ships and distributed first to Home Guard members in coastal zones. Churchill thought that the American donations were 'entirely on a diferent level from anything we have transported across the Atlantic except for the Canadial division itself. Churchill warned his First Lord that "the loss of these rifles and field-guns would be a disaster of the first order." Their Finest Hour recalled: "When the ships from America approached our shores with their priceless arms, special trains were waiting in all the ports to receive their cargos. The Home Guard in every county, in every town, in every village, sat up all through the night to receive them... By the end of July we were an armed nation... a lot of our men and some women had weapons in their hands."

I guess we should have just kept all our guns so that you Brits wouldn't go around in armed gangs just "shooting the crap out of everything".