metalslug

Military museum raided - War material uncovered!

"Military museum raided - War material uncovered!"

Sounds like a bad Irish joke, doesn't it ?
No, quite possible in Africa I'm afraid to say...

Johannesburg - Discussions were continuing between the department of defence and the SA National Museum of Military History into the origins of certain military items, with no further raids scheduled at present, a defence spokesperson said on Tuesday.
"Investigations are continuing and there are still discussions between the museum and the department," Lieutenant- Colonel Louis Kirstein said.
This followed the arrest and release last week of the museum's director and two curators and the seizure of four military vehicles amid allegations that "war capable" equipment was being stored there.
The military wanted to find out how the equipment came into the museum's possession, Kirstein explained.
No further raids would take place at this stage in the light of the ongoing discussions, he said.
The museum regularly restored and restarted its military vehicles and often invited the public to witness this.
The SA National Defence Force said the investigations were in accord with the defence department's new crime prevention strategy.

In response:

If it happened in any other country, the minister of defence would have resigned because of the embarrassment.
This was the reaction of Helmoed Römer-Heitman, military expert of Jane's Defence Weekly, to the "ridiculous" arrest of two curators and the director of the military museum in Saxonworld, Johannesburg, for the "possession of suspicious, stolen military vehicles".
"Every government wants to control its weapons, but to invade a military museum is medieval. It makes the defence force looks like a bunch of fools. I cannot believe for one second that a senior military commander approved such a thing. The entire affair puts the South African Defence Force in a very bad light. But I doubt whether the officer who planned it will lose his job."

This would all be hystericaly funny.. if I didn't live here [:/]
-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.