turtlespeed

Stingy?

Un Disaster relief rep in a speach called the US Stingy.

He also went on to say that the tax payers WANT to be charged taxes in order to help him do his job.

More: He tried to retract his statements by sayin gthat he wasn't talking about this disaster (thailand wave) but was instaed talking about all disasters. Then he tried to say that he wasn't talking about the US but ALL western countries. . . but he said" The US" in his statement.

More: The charts he quoted as far as the monies that were allotted to global relief put Norway (his country) in the lead with .9% of their GDP, and US far behind that with .14%. What this set of numbers does not show is the amount of monies that are donated at the leisure or will of the individual do gooder.

Buy saying that we want higher taxes in order to pay for disaster relief is saying that we want less control over what charities our money goes to.

What a bunch of fuckin hooey!

(Edited for correctness)

Also added: No I don't have links as backup - but I am sure someone does.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Are you saying that
(1) individually, Norwegians are stingier than Americans, but
(2) collectively Norwegians are more generous than Americans?

What data do you have to back up the first claim? It seems you have confirmed claim (2).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you saying that

What data do you have to back up the first claim? It seems you have confirmed claim (2).

I can not speak for him, but like a few of the articles suggest which I have read, the numbers used in this study are not accurate. They only take into account cash given by the government of countries. This report does NOT take into account food donations nor does it take into account private (non government) contributions.

If the Fed government gave 10 Billion and US companies gave 100 Billion, only the 10 billion give by the US Government would be reflected in the percentage of GDP.

The EU uses the numbers given primarily because the Government of those countries regulates through its taxes, contributions in foreign aid. The same is true of the US, however, the US gives a lot more through private contributions..... I think you and I both would rather donate than give the money to the government to donate.... We all know how efficient the Government can be.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Are you saying that

I can not speak for him, but like a few of the articles suggest which I have read, the numbers used in this study are not accurate. They only take into account cash given by the government of countries. This report does NOT take into account food donations nor does it take into account private (non government) contributions.

If the Fed government gave 10 Billion and US companies gave 100 Billion, only the 10 billion give by the US Government would be reflected in the percentage of GDP.

The EU uses the numbers given primarily because the Government of those countries regulates through its taxes, contributions in foreign aid. The same is true of the US, however, the US gives a lot more through private contributions..... I think you and I both would rather donate than give the money to the government to donate.... We all know how efficient the Government can be.

There are a lot of caveats - a huge fraction of US foreign aid goes to Israel, hardly a poster boy for "poor developing country".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Good grief...even if the US provided no cash, and only planes and supplies, the dollar value of that alone will surpass that of most contries for those that care to compare.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!