DemolitionDarby

Rig advice new AFF grad

Hi guys,

I’m a new AFF grad, 5’9, 170lbs with 11 total jumps and one cut away. I want to get into free fly jumping while I work towards my wing suit. Assuming money is no object, what kind of rig should I get thats worthy of free fly, avoids premature deployment, and can help me transition into swooping and high-performance canopy maneuvers later on. Any rig advice on size, make, model, etc. would be greatly appreciated since I’m very new to this sport.

I’ve heard a 190 might be great for me, but I always like to get multiple opinions. Currently I’m used to flying a 260 main and I’ve also flown a 220.

Anything helps, guys. I appreciated it!

Thank you!

If money is no object, you should get at least two rigs; one for now, probably used, with a square or very lightly elliptical 190 (probably) in it. It'll be the one you fall down in more, and drag sometime, and figure out what your flying style is.

Then, when you have 100 or more jumps (and 150 is probably better), and some good belly skills (because you always track and deploy on your belly), you will also have enough experience to decide for yourself what kind of canopy you want and need, and how big, how aggressive, etc. You will have the old rig as a backup, or to sell or pass along.

Why not just get it first? Because it's really not that smart to make decisions without enough information, and buying something with such custom and different sizes and characteristics as a rig, with main, and reserve, with only advice to go on, and not experience. Really.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

If money is no object, you should get at least two rigs; one for now, probably used, with a square or very lightly elliptical 190 (probably) in it. It'll be the one you fall down in more, and drag sometime, and figure out what your flying style is.

Then, when you have 100 or more jumps (and 150 is probably better), and some good belly skills (because you always track and deploy on your belly), you will also have enough experience to decide for yourself what kind of canopy you want and need, and how big, how aggressive, etc. You will have the old rig as a backup, or to sell or pass along.

Why not just get it first? Because it's really not that smart to make decisions without enough information, and buying something with such custom and different sizes and characteristics as a rig, with main, and reserve, with only advice to go on, and not experience. Really.

Wendy P.

Even if money is no object, get one rig now (first one you said), then another one then.
Just because, depending on how much he jumps and how fast progresses in canopy skills, it might be a couple of years or more before he grows out of his first rig, and by then his body measures might have changed, new things might have came out etc. etc.
So why buying now only to keep a rig in a closet? Honestly it doesn't make any sense.

As for the advice on your first rig, I totally agree with Wendy!

As for free flying, any recently made rig is freefly friendly and they all have pros and cons.
When it comes to freefly, nowadays a proper fit to your body, tight but not constricted, is what's most important. If you say money is not object and you stick to the major manufacturers, they're all safely designed for freefly. Get a custom made container (made to measure on your body, have a rigger "measure" you, kinda like a tailor would), pick whichever brand is more popular or you like the most at your DZ, or demo some, and you'll be good.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.