Rebecca

Now THIS pisses me off SO MUCH!!!

I was trying to come up with a reason, an example, anything to support the premise that humans have not been unequivocally bad for Planet Earth.

Yes, I know that if we weren't here, no one would appreciate its wonder and beauty. But, if you play Earth's lawyer, say in a lawsuit against Mankind for all the damage we've wreaked, could you come up with one opposing argument that you couldn't defend?

I am very appreciative of those who take the time to recognize their effect on the environment around them, though I must say I have a slightly different view. When you speak of the damage done to "Mother Earth"; you are actually speaking of the changes to the environment which effect human beings.

Mother Earth is fine without us, as is Mars, Venus, etc. I think if she could speak she would consider mankind and his need for a balanced environment as an annoyance, kind of like a cold she is hoping to get over someday.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

This whole thread reminds me of a cadence we'd sing while marching:

Way up north where the air is cold
People up there ain't got no gold
That's how I make my living
Killing baby seals

Bake 'em, broil 'em, fry 'em
Any way you like 'em
Killing baby seals

My wife and kids they hate me
The liberals try to break me
But I gotta make my living
Killing baby seals

PC--no way. Funny--yep. Do I advocate it--not really...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

We have no natural enemies, no control on our population - we're supposed to reach 9 billion by 2030 according to latest estimates. The only thing that's going to control our population is ourselves.

Or maybe this:

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_10_29/en/

BTW Wars are a great wasy to spread disease as well. Many attribute much of the widespread prevalence of HIV in Africa to a combination of war and famine.
Like it or not HIV will have a dramatic effect on the population of Africa. Those who use condoms will be much more likely to live, and less likely to reproduce.

That too, but like Zenister said

War, Famine, Pestilence and Disease may be the Four horsemen, but a Fifth holds the door open and leads the way in…. Overpopulation…

It's still us controlling us - us going to war against one another, us infecting one another - it's the only thing in history that's significantly limited our numbers. With our current technology and resources, we can hold off diseases that would have decimated us 50 years ago. It's only a matter of time before something bigger than us rears its head though...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

When you speak of the damage done to "Mother Earth"; you are actually speaking of the changes to the environment which effect human beings.

No, I was actually speaking of the damage we have caused which has changed the environment which affects the whole planet. Changes like global warming which raises the temp of the oceans ever so slightly - enough to start killing plankton or forcing migration. You start messing with the bottom of the food chain and it's bad news comin'. Notice how marine biologists are noticing weird things - animals in parts of the ocean they shouldn't inhabit? That's just the start...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

This whole thread reminds me of a cadence we'd sing while marching:

Way up north where the air is cold
People up there ain't got no gold
Killing baby seals

Bake 'em, broil 'em, fry 'em
Any way you like 'em
Killing baby seals

My wife and kids they hate me
The liberals try to break me
But I gotta make my living
Killing baby seals

PC--no way. Funny--yep. Do I advocate it--not really...

Reminds me of the 'Napalm Sticks to Kids' jody. Just sick. [:/]

Actually, yours isn't too bad - at least you're eatin' what you're killin'. I don't have a problem with that. ;)

When you speak of the damage done to "Mother Earth"; you are actually speaking of the changes to the environment which effect human beings.

No, I was actually speaking of the damage we have caused which has changed the environment which affects the whole planet. Changes like global warming which raises the temp of the oceans ever so slightly - enough to start killing plankton or forcing migration. You start messing with the bottom of the food chain and it's bad news comin'. Notice how marine biologists are noticing weird things - animals in parts of the ocean they shouldn't inhabit? That's just the start...

That's my point; is that we are effectively destroying our chances for long-term survival... The planet itself will get along just fine with a Venus-type environment... Maybe the next race of beings to inhabit whatever ecosystem/environment exists here will be a little smarter about it...
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Well, yeah, but we're taking a whole bunch of other natives out with us. The earth will take care of herself, depending on what it is that wipes us out (a giant planet-killer meteor would nix that plan, obviously)

Came across this just now: Cremation Reefs, which I think is pretty cool.