gemini

Looks like the US isn't the only country with immigration problems...

National Post, 9/2/04 Article by Stewart Bell

SRI LANKAN GANSTER GETS TO STAY
Judge Fears 'Hardship' for son of man caught with AK-47

Totonto*A sri Lankan ganster caught in Toronto with an AK-47 assault rifle and sawed-off shotgun that police believe were meant for a murder has won the right to stay in Canada after a refugee judge ruled the man's family would suffer if he were sent home.

Although the judge said Sanththijesvaran Lathiravelu, 31, was convicted of a serious crime and was a member of AK-Kannan, an ethnic Tamil gang responsible for killings, assaults, extortion and drug trafficking, he ruled he should not be deported for the time being.

Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) member Egya Sangmuah wrote in his decision that since his arrest, Kathiravely has married and fathered a son in Canada, and takes his family to the mall and cinema. Deporting him would cause undue hardship to the family, he ruled.

After setting aside a deportation order, the judge told Kathiravely to stay away from gangs and guns, and instructed him to return to the refugee board on June 18, 2010, at which time his case will be looked at again.

[Paragraphs skipped]

The refugee judge ruled that Kathiravelu, whom he said had been "sucked into" gangs by friends, could remain in Canada because he had a steady job, had not been arrested since 1996 and that if deported, his wife and son, Sarin, would probably go with him to Sri Lanka.

"If this were to occur, Sarin would losethe benefits of growing up in Canada and be exposed to the vicissitudes of adjusting to a foreign environment. It would be in the best interests of Sarin that his father is given the opportunity to proved he has been rehabilitated," he ruled.

Note: On Aug 23, 1996 Kathiravelu was a passenger in a car that was pulled over by police. In the back seat was an AK-47 and two magazines of ammunition. In the trunk was a sawed off shotgun. All four men were convicted of weapons possession. Kathiravelu served an 18 month sentence after which immigration started deportation actions. According to a police informant, Kathiravelu's name was on a rival gangs hit list. Police suspect the occupants of the care were on their way to carry out a drive-by shooting against members of the rival gang.

Blue skies,

Jim

Fucking idiots. This is what a society gets when it goes out of its way to be nice to criminals when the purpose of the justice system is supposed to be to protect society itself.

The fucking guy's kid is named for a lethal poison. Nice. I wonder if it's illegal for him to call the kid by his name in an airport. Like if you named your kid "Bomb." -- "Have you seen my Bomb? I brought little Bomb into the airport, trying to get on the plane, and now I can't find my Bomb!"

"I let a little Sarin loose here in the airport and now I can't find Sarin! I hope Sarin doesn't cause any trouble!"

Sure, maybe in this guy's language Sarin is a normal name. Whatever.

I think this judge who ruled the guy can't be deported should have to put him up in her own fuckin' house.

Since when is your family's dependence on you a get-out-of-trouble-free card?! I guess I should go father a bastard child and then I could go on crime sprees of my own. Then I could just say, "Your honor, really, you can't send me to jail -- think of how unfair that'll be to my kid, who I won't be able to take to the cinema!"

What a fucking joke.
Congratulations, Canada -- keep earning that "terrorists' haven" reputation! Soft on crime will get you all kinds of goodies!

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"