Jib

Another Veteran on Kerry

Hardworking people who don't have degrees. And there's a whole lot more of them.

And yet I recall you bitching earlier today about Republican control of the government....
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm not very astounded, but thanks for trying. 85% lower enlisted ranks, are 50/50 dem/rep, eh? Not the ones with whom I've dealt. Wonder where that was done.
:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Can't find it now, but saw a gallup poll showing that veterans were around 70-30 for Bush, but currently active duty service members were just about 50-50. Interesting that those serving under the current CIC are less in his court.

Watch for Democrat efforts to discount military absentee ballots, just like in 2000, because of the real or perceived tendency they have to vote Republican.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

A bipartisan poll of 1,000 likely voters conducted in September found that Bush's approval rating among relatives of military personnel was 36 percent. Family members upset by Bush's policy on Iraq are venting through Web sites and public protests. The poll has a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.

it was service members we were talking about right? To date I've only heard of one service member who was going to vote for Kerry. Now that he knows a bit more about him he's voting for the Bush

Watch for Democrat efforts to discount military absentee ballots, just like in 2000, because of the real or perceived tendency they have to vote Republican.

I hope not. That was just as wrong of Gore's team as it was for the Bush team to disenfranchise blacks.

Oh yeah, Bush won, get over it!!! :P Why do you conservatives keep bringing up the 2000 election and then when we respond telling us to get over it?

"The assertion that the military has historically voted Republican is an overstatement and overly simplistic," said David Segal, a military sociologist at the University of Maryland.

"On the average," he said, "the professional military vote has been more Republican than the nation as a whole." But, "that tends to be true of all professions," including those in the legal and medical fields, he added.

Research on the other 85 percent of military personnel – the junior enlisted service members – suggests that group is "pretty much mainstream American, not disproportionally conservative, not disproportionally Republican," Segal said.

Wait just a second. Hold the phone. Stop the presses. So professionals everywhere tend towards Republicans. So, hard working, successful people tend towards Republicans...

So who does that leave for the Democrats?

Oooohhh, I know! I know!!

College students/professors, the media (print, television and movie) and most inner-city residents.... the traditional "backbones" (pardon the use of the term ;)) of the liberal left....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The two of you are really good at insulting almost half of America. I bet all the hard working carpenters, plumbers, electricians, truck drivers, steel workers, etc. who are predominantly democrats appreciate knowing that they aren't as important as "professionals" and have no backbone.

I love it, I get called un-American because I criticize a handful of people (Bush and his cabinet). Seems to me putting down almost half the country fits that definition a little more.

You honestly think the left has a backbone? ROFLMFAO! They can't even show their true colors at their own presidential convention! They were trying to play the most liberal senator in the senate off as a centrist!

They can't tell America what they support because all of those electicians, plumbers, carpenters, &c. would throw UP that they had ever voted for them!

Let's look at some gems from the Democratic platform for a bit:

- support racial discrimination
- support abortion for minors without parental notification
- support forced union membership
- against school choice
- want to raise taxes (especially for those who pay most of the taxes already)

Now, can you honestly tell me that you could go into any African America church - a popular pulpit for lefties, state the above, and expect their support? Of COURSE not!

If you can't state openly what you support - no backbone. Period.
:)Rain sux ass.

Vinny the Anvil
:P
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

The two of you are really good at insulting almost half of America. I bet all the hard working carpenters, plumbers, electricians, truck drivers, steel workers, etc. who are predominantly democrats appreciate knowing that they aren't as important as "professionals" and have no backbone.

I love it, I get called un-American because I criticize a handful of people (Bush and his cabinet). Seems to me putting down almost half the country fits that definition a little more.

And being called "warmonger" "racist" and the like isn't insulting the OTHER half of America? I'm not accusing you of this peronally, PK, but the liberals in general.

We're accused of being heartless and unfeeling because we don't march in blind lockstep with the environmental/social program of the week.

Oh, I forgot... those aren't insults when they're directed at conservatives, are they?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The Bush team did nothing to disenfranchise blacks.
:S
Vinny the Anvil

Nonsense.

The Florida bogus felons list that they tried to keep secret AGAIN was overwhelmingly black.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I could care less what percentage of any list of persons is black, white, red, yellow, purple, perriwinkle, or fluorescent pink for that matter. Since you're interested in such things, let's postulate for a bit. Given the racial breakdown of felons in the US, what list of felons would NOT consist of mostly minorities?

Still waiting for the left to produce the person who was not allowed to vote because of his/her race. I'm not holding my breath, however.

I do laud those looking out for racial prejudice and bigotry in Florida, however. Any state that would elect Corrine Brown to the House needs a close eye kept on it in that regard.
:)Vinny the Anvil
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I could care less what percentage of any list of persons is black, white, red, yellow, purple, perriwinkle, or fluorescent pink for that matter. Since you're interested in such things, let's postulate for a bit. Given the racial breakdown of felons in the US, what list of felons would NOT consist of mostly minorities?

Still waiting for the left to produce the person who was not allowed to vote because of his/her race. I'm not holding my breath, however.

I do laud those looking out for racial prejudice and bigotry in Florida, however. Any state that would elect Corrine Brown to the House needs a close eye kept on it in that regard.

They did it ages ago, it was discussed ages ago, links provided ages ago - you were not paying attention AGAIN.

BTW, it's a DEFECTIVE list, the people who were illegally excluded from voting were predominantly black, and the Florida GOP knew it.

They did it ages ago, it was discussed ages ago, links provided ages ago - you were not paying attention AGAIN.

BTW, it's a DEFECTIVE list, the people who were illegally excluded from voting were predominantly black, and the Florida GOP knew it.

As I recall, that discussion went very similarly to this one (also, without any back up or any disenfrachised people being trotted out).

Until you show me someone who went to a polling place and was not allowed to vote when they should have, I don't recognize that any harm was done at all.

Try to understand this Kallend:
(A) Most felons are black
(B) Many names stay along race and culture lines
ie. I don't know any hispanics named Achbar, or many blacks Pe'er
(C)Therefore, if the list is applied to simialr names, black people could be wrongly turned away.

There was no race plot to discriminate against blacks, or to exclude them because they tend to block vote Democrat. If anyone is to blame for problems of law abiding blacks, it's black felons.

disclaimer: I abhor this entire discussion because I hate discussing people based on the color of their skin. I have been dragged down to this level by racists (albeit PC racists, so they are not called such).
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Not paying attention? I think not.

You didn't answer my question. And if they did indeed do it ages ago, then you should easily be able to state the name of the aggrieved party who was denied their right to vote because of their race. Again, I won't be holding my breath on that one. Your chance to shine here, my dear Kallend. The name, if you will. Don't worry. I won't lose any sleep if you choose not to respond.

The FL GOP knew that a list of felons was predominantly minorities? Really? FL GOP members understand statistics and demographics? Say it's not so! How DARE FL GOP members actually be educated and well informed regarding prison demographics and statistics? How dare they? Those sonsof....er....uh....eeeeh....ahhh...ungabunga. Oh.

Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Not paying attention? I think not.

You didn't answer my question. And if they did indeed do it ages ago, then you should easily be able to state the name of the aggrieved party who was denied their right to vote because of their race. Again, I won't be holding my breath on that one. Your chance to shine here, my dear Kallend. The name, if you will. Don't worry. I won't lose any sleep if you choose not to respond.

The FL GOP knew that a list of felons was predominantly minorities? Really? FL GOP members understand statistics and demographics? Say it's not so! How DARE FL GOP members actually be educated and well informed regarding prison demographics and statistics? How dare they? Those sonsof....er....uh....eeeeh....ahhh...ungabunga. Oh.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/01/florida.elections/

As requested.

A sample of blacks illegally denied the right to vote in Florida, 2000 election by a list compiled by GOP Secretary of State and Bush election campaign official. A list that the GOP secretary of state steadfastly refused to release for public inspection until ordered to do so by a court.

Thomas Alvin Cooper (2), twenty-eight, was flagged because of a crime for which he will be convicted in the year 2007. According to Florida?s elections division, this intrepid time-traveler will cover his tracks by moving to Ohio, adding a middle name, and changing his race. Harper's found 325 names on the list with conviction dates in the future, a fact that did not escape Department of Elections workers, who, in June 2000 emails headed, ?Future Conviction Dates," termed the discovery, "bad news.? Rather than release this whacky data to skeptical counties, Janet Mudrow, state liaison to DBT, suggested that ?blanks would be preferable in these cases." (Harper's counted 4,917 blank conviction dates.) The one county that checked each of the 694 names on its local list could verify only 34 as actual felony convicts. Some counties defied Harris' directives; Madison County's elections supervisor Linda Howell refused the purge list after she found her own name on it.

Rev. Willie Dixon (3), seventy, was guilty of a crime in his youth; but one phone call would have told the state that it had already pardoned Dixon and restored his right to vote. On behalf of Dixon and other excluded voters, the NAACP in January 2001 sued Florida and Harris, after finding that African-Americans?who account for 13 percent of Florida's electorate and 46 percent of U.S. felony convictions ?were four times as likely as whites to be incorrectly singled out under the state's methodology. After the election, Harris and her elections chief Clay Roberts, testified under oath that verifying the lists was solely the work of county supervisors. But the Florida-DBT contract (marked "Secret" and ?Confidential?) holds DBT responsible for ?manual verification using telephone calls.? in fact, with the state?s blessing, DBT did not call a single felon. When I asked Roberts about the contract during an interview for BBC television, Roberts ripped off his microphone, ran into his office, locked the door, and called in state troopers to remove us.

Johnny Jackson Jr. (4), thirty-two, has never been to Texas, and his mother swears he never had the middle name ?Fitzgerald.? Neither is there evidence that John Fitzgerald Jackson, felon of Texas, has ever left the Lone Star State. But even if they were the same man, removing him from Florida?s voter rolls is an unconstitutional act. Texas is among the thirty five states where ex-felons are permitted to vote, and the "full faith and credit" clause of the U.S. Constitution forbids states to revoke any civil rights that a citizen has been granted by another state; in fact, the Florida Supreme Court had twice ordered the state not to do so, just nine months before the voter purge. Nevertheless, at least 2,873 voters were wrongly removed, a purge authorized by a September 18, 2000 letter to counties from Governor Bush's clemency office. On February 23, 2001, days after the U.S. Commission of Civil Rights began investigating the matters, Bush's office issued a new letter allowing these persons to vote; no copies of the earlier letter could be found in the clemency office or on its computers.

Wallace McDonald (5), sixty-four, lost his right to vote in 2000, though his sole run-in with the law was a misdemeanor in 1959. (He fell asleep on a bus-stop bench.) Of the "matches' on these lists, the civil-rights commission estimated that at least 14 percent - or 8,000 voters, nearly 15 times Bush's official margin of victory - were false. DBT claims it warned officials "a significant number of people who were not a felon would be included on the list"; but the state, the company now says, "wanted there to be more names than were actually verified." Last May, Florida's legislature barred Harris from using outside firms to build the purge list and ordered her to seek guidance from county elections officials. In defiance, Harris has rebuffed the counties and hired another firm, just in time for Jeb Bush's reelection fight this fall.

No, not as requested. I asked you for the name of any person denied the right to vote because of their color. You've instead given me four names. Very nice names and very odd circumstances. Unfortunately, you've given me four names in lieu of ANSWERING MY QUESTION. You have provided me no proof whatsoever that the reason these four individuals were barred from voting was their race. None whatsoever. Try again.

As of yet, your attempt to prove that African Americans were deliberately disenfranchised of their rights to vote en masse because of their skin color has proven fruitless. Now, let's see if I can have some fun with this. It's without question that the Dem's deliberately tried to disqualify military absentee ballots. Now, assuming that the race of military personell from FL serving abroad and unable to vote reflects that of the general Florida populace - a most reasonable assumption, I'm sure you would agree - then it seems quite a logical deduction that the Democratic party deliberately tried to disenfranchise caucasians and hispanics from voting! I have a far firmer base for this ridiculous argument than you for your argument that the GOP deliberately sought to disenfranchise minority voters.

Anytime you're ready to prove the aforementioned were singled out because of their race, I'm ready to hear/read what you've got to say. Again, I'm not holding my breath at all.

Ahem. http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/01/florida.elections/ :P

Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

"The assertion that the military has historically voted Republican is an overstatement and overly simplistic," said David Segal, a military sociologist at the University of Maryland.

"On the average," he said, "the professional military vote has been more Republican than the nation as a whole." But, "that tends to be true of all professions," including those in the legal and medical fields, he added.

Research on the other 85 percent of military personnel – the junior enlisted service members – suggests that group is "pretty much mainstream American, not disproportionally conservative, not disproportionally Republican," Segal said.

Wait just a second. Hold the phone. Stop the presses. So professionals everywhere tend towards Republicans. So, hard working, successful people tend towards Republicans...

So who does that leave for the Democrats?

I was wondering about this original post too. I dislike the term "the professions" - it seems elitist. A lawyer is a professional but a custodian is not, even if the lawyer is lackluster and the custodian takes great pride in a job well done? When people say "professionals," they are often referring to doctors, lawyers, businessmen, investment bankers - people who tend to make more money than most. As you go up the economic scale, the proportion of Republicans increases. This makes sense to me. If I were financially well-off, I would want to preserve that advantage, and Republican policies favour the rich. So to say that professionals tend to vote Republican can be misleading. It is most likely due to economic self-interest (which I'm not knocking; it makes sense) than any particular insight or intelligence.

Just my $.02
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan