14000andfalling

Health Question: IBS

While many of you will not recognise IBS as being a disability, it is still a condition which makes it nessacary for me to take prescribed medication on most days to control my symptoms.
I am booked to begin my RAPS course in just under a month, and although I completed my Tandem with no problems whatsoever, I mentioned my condition to my instructor and he insisted I obtain the Medical Consent From from my Doc.

Does anyone here suffer from IBS or know anyone that does and still jumps ok?
My appointment with the Doc is on Mon but until then any info would be a great help.

Thanks.

Hi!

I have suffered from the diagnosis IBS for the past 10 years. It does in no way keep me from skydiving and only my first tandem made it a little uncomfortable due to the pressure in my abdomen.

A normal rig does not put as much pressure on your belly as does being strapped to someone in a tandem harness.

I recently found out the root of my IBS as I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease a few months ago (Gluten Intolerance) and since I have made an extreme shift in my diet since things have been much better.

My suggestion to you would be to not eat the foods that you know set you off the night before or the morning that you jump to keep your guts from rumbling and take care of business before you jump.

PM me if you want any more info. For some this may all ready be TMI

~Z
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder

Thanks a lot for that, they do seem to dish out the term IBS pretty freely don't they?!

I'm happy to report that my GP signed my fit-to-jump form and i'm now just counting down the days until my RAPS course on the 24th...

I think if I avoid the 'problem' foods as you say and take my meds in plenty of time then it'll all be Blue Skies and Plane Sailing!

Thanks for the reply.