mdrejhon

So close, so far. Good weather Sat, bad Sun and Mon

Deaf Canadian here.

Back in town! (Hello Billy.) Half of the long 3-day weekend was great. I was hoping to get more than 6 jumps at the Twin Otter boogie at my dropzone (Skydive Gananoque) which gets that fun plane now and then. But Nature schemed to keep me on ground. Successfully kept me grounded all Sunday and Monday. But I got 6 jumps in on Saturday, including a consecutive 3 jumps back-to-back load-after-load.

Nontheless, they were the best 5 jumps I've ever had. All solo. My first ones from a Twin Otter. Uh-oh. Did I say first? More beer!

(I say 5 instead of 6. Let's just say that I now know never to jump through rain if I can avoid it. Ouch!)

I'm now at 23 jumps. Will have to wait till I get a rig before my pack training, which is required for "A", so I will probably get the "A" at around 50 jumps since that is around July or August, when I can afford my own rig.

This is going to be the difficult expense coming up.... I am now saving up for a rig now for July/August. Probably a Sabre2 or thereabouts in some good brand name rig, with an AAD. $3000CDN-ish range (That's ~$2400 USD) that meets dropzone staff approval. Likely have to skip a "every other weekend" to accelerate saving for a rig, but may actually pay for itself by allowing more moeny for jumps later... Have talked to several at dropzone, so I now know the approximate ballpark of a rig to look for, including brands and appropriate canopies.

This IS getting expensive, but a month ago, I didn't think I would be buying my own rig!

Hmm.... Maybe I should sell my Star Trek DVD collection (I imagine about ~$1500 usedmarket ebay value :S) to finance the rig! B|

Hey Mark
I saw you around the DZ this weekend and now am putting a face to a name in these threads. I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with you and your intrest in the sport, I am really impressed with your intrest in seeking out the safety aspect of the sport and getting as much info as you can from a varity of locations i.e. DZ.com forums PIM's your instructors etc..... Anyway I just wanted to say hey welcome to the sport and keep up the good work!
REMEMBER! If your not living on the edge..... your taking up too much space!

Hey there... Which one of you was Dan? I don't think I caught your name at Gan. (I'll send you a PM)

Yeah, I've got a tendancy to get information from multiple sources. The best sources are the dropzone people, especially instructors, of course. But as you know, I am a deaf guy and like to supplement with various texts...

Oh that reminds me.

I got a few offers to do jumps with me (coaches and instructors), but that never happened due to weather on Sun/Mon. I'm pretty anxious to start doing 2-ways and then 4-way's. I'll be a little noisy about getting some jumpers to jump with me next time I go!