captain1

fractured talus

My wife had hers broken in a few pieces. Only required 2 screws, as opposed to a plate. Took 6 weeks no-weight bearing, and now, 8 months later, she still has some pain in it and cant walk barefoot on hard surfaces without a good deal of disconfort. Its a bone, it will heal, but almost all your body weight goes through it when you walk, so its a bitch to heal....
Remster

one of the more iuseful things I've learned in medical school is that some things just fu@&ing hurt. It'll heal, but it'll probably be painful for a while. Just remember that there ARE people in a whole lot worse pain. Be glad you're not one of them....really....

Good luck~

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Thanks everybody for the input. Hi Remster, best wishes for a full recovery to your wife. I managed to break both my feet back in March so I had to endure over two months in a wheel chair and it has been a bitch trying to walk on two bad feet. Took a lot of therapy. Hopefully I will fully heal but some mornings I get out of bed and my right foot is stiff as a board.

Hey there,
I fractured mine the first of March. It sucks, but I can promise you it does get better. Like said above, I was no weight for about 8 weeks in a boot cast and PT....they are still considering surgery because I'm still having discomfort when I run. I've been cleared for jumping since memorial day.

I'm not going to lie..I'm probably better at predicting weather then the people on TV....but like with any broken bone...it sucks healing. My only advice is this is a bone you don't want to mess with while it. Basically, from what i have been told, it holds the artery that brings the blood to the foot and if you damage it enough....it could affect the blood supply resulting is less functioning in that foot. That was enough for me stay off of it. I also began to develop OCD (not obsessive compulsive disorder, something else). Its when the bone causes damage on the cartilage from the impact. Again something that you can live with.

Good luck, keep your head up, and PM me if you have any questions!!!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein